five footer with Simonds 88 handles?

Post here if you are trying to identify a saw, or want to discuss specific features of saws that can be used for identification.

five footer with Simonds 88 handles?

Postby beng » July 19th, 2015, 2:35 pm

I got this saw at a house-sale today for five-dollars. This photo was taken before I did any cleaning. It looks like a new blade that got a bit of water on it. I can find no etch or markings on it.

It is sixty-inches long and maybe a bit over 6 1/4" wide in the middle.

The holes for the handles on each end are spaced 15/16" from each other on center. Anyone know what this might be? I guess I need to find or make some handles now.....

Last edited by beng on July 20th, 2015, 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
beng

Re: New/old five-foot two-man?

Postby Jim_Thode » July 19th, 2015, 5:11 pm

Looks like a Simonds No. 13

See the catalog here:
http://www.crosscutsawyer.com/download/file.php?id=10

Jim
Jim_Thode

Re: New/old five-foot two-man?

Postby beng » July 20th, 2015, 6:36 am

Thank-you Jim Thode for doing some homework for me. It is odd to me that I can find no mark on this saw because I have uncovered etches on some really rusty saws by scraping them with a putty knife.

The next episode of "The Saw Moron" was where I had a set of handles for this saw all along, but I did not realize it because I tried putting them on UPSIDE DOWN and thought they were for something else. I tried putting them on again today the right way and they fit, but they seem a bit close to the edge. From the catalog Jim Thode pointed at, it looks like these are Simonds "88" handles, they even have red paint on them like in the catalog photo.

The handles came off another saw I got from an acquaintance which had a ruined blade, someone had cut all the teeth right off it and filed a series of triangle shaped teeth with no rakers at all way down about half through the blade. I think it is now just material to weld onto broken saw blades.

Thank-you for your patience and time,

beng

Last edited by beng on July 20th, 2015, 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
beng

Re: Simonds 13 with Simonds 88 handles?

Postby beng » July 20th, 2015, 6:47 am

I noticed that the shape of the ends of this saw where the handle goes on and also the shape and number of the end teeth do not match the photos of the #13 in the Simonds catalog exactly, so maybe it is something different, or maybe Simonds changed their designs a bit over the years. I see Disston made saws with the same dimensions as this one, so I think I am back on square one for now....

This looks closer in style and dimension than the Simonds #13 to me:

beng

Re: five footer with Simonds 88 handles?

Postby sumnergeo » July 20th, 2015, 3:06 pm

I have a 5-ft Simonds No. 13 and it has five teeth on the end and looks like the one in the Simonds 1953 catalog but with an older style logo. I also have a 5 1/2 - ft Simonds and it has the same pattern but with the simpler, 'newer' logo. It doesn't look quite like yours. . . Keep looking!
sumnergeo

Location: Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Houston, Texas; Minneapolis

Re: five footer with Simonds 88 handles?

Postby beng » July 20th, 2015, 5:26 pm

sumnergeo wrote:I have a 5-ft Simonds No. 13 and it has five teeth on the end and looks like the one in the Simonds 1953 catalog but with an older style logo. I also have a 5 1/2 - ft Simonds and it has the same pattern but with the simpler, 'newer' logo. It doesn't look quite like yours. . . Keep looking!

I noticed the same thing about the teeth on the end, that is why I thought the Atkins 540 two-cutter was a closer match as it has four end teeth. I looked through all the catalogs in the archives so until some new material comes up I am probably at a standstill. Of course none of this means the saw will not cut wood......!
beng

Return to Saw ID