cresent ground saw

Post here if you are trying to identify a saw, or want to discuss specific features of saws that can be used for identification.

cresent ground saw

Postby Roscoe » July 10th, 2015, 6:42 am

Hi Guys! I just pulled a new saw out of my tank and as I cleaned it the most beautiful crescent shaped grind marks started coming out. I checked it with my micrometer and it is indeed a very nice crescent ground blade. Here is my problem Atkins has 2 saws that match my dimensions. The #4 Perfection and the 226 Victor. They are both 3.25" at the ends and 5.75 at the center and also the same taper, 14, 16 and 19. The only difference that I can see are the blue ends. Here are some photos. Has this come up before?
atkins 005.JPG
atkins 004.JPG
atkins 006.JPG
Roscoe

Re: cresent ground saw

Postby Roscoe » July 12th, 2015, 12:20 pm

I haven't come across an Atkins blue end before. Does the middle photo look like it could have been painted? It's very quiet out there
Roscoe

Postby Jim_Thode » July 12th, 2015, 4:29 pm

Roscoe,
Yes Atkins had blue ends and Simonds had red ends.

I just saw a pristine NOS Atkins with with blue on the end and the whole blade had a blue tinge to it. I had never seen one with the blue color over the whole blade before.

Here is the Atlins with one blue end and the blue tinge, (in the middle of the photo):
Z99A9017a.jpg

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby Trailsawyer » July 12th, 2015, 7:22 pm

Roscoe
It could be hard to determine if your saw is a #4 or a#226..... In the 1941 catalog the only difference noted is the alloy that the saws are made from, and the blue painted end of the #4.
The #4 is a "Silver Steel" alloy; the #226 is "Atkins Victor Line Electric Alloy". Both should be good saws!
Gary
Trailsawyer

Postby Starling_Saw » July 13th, 2015, 7:08 am

Jim_Thode wrote:Roscoe,
Yes Atkins had blue ends and Simonds had red ends.

I just saw a pristine NOS Atkins with with blue on the end and the whole blade had a blue tinge to it. I had never seen one with the blue color over the whole blade before.

Here is the Atlins with one blue end and the blue tinge, (in the middle of the photo):
Z99A9017a.jpg

Jim

Sometimes we get saws that have a blue tinge to them from the saw shops. The manufacturer tells me that if the saw is left in the Strawing oven too long the steel will blue a little, but it shouldn't affect the temper to much.
John
Starling_Saw

Postby Roscoe » July 13th, 2015, 7:39 am

Thanks for the feed back. In looking at the catalog again I think that I'm going with the 226 Victor. The dark line at the end of my saw looks like it was caused by a loop handle. The blue paint in the catalog looks at least a 1/4 inch wider. I love this stuff!
Roscoe

Postby sandersdwa » July 15th, 2015, 3:29 pm

Jim, I recognize that photo as I was at the auction too. I think that Atkins #51 was intentionally blued over the entire surface. I wanted to buy it and learn more about how the bluing would work out but wanted to save for the next saw up.
Don
sandersdwa

Postby Jim_Thode » July 16th, 2015, 8:15 am

sandersdwa wrote:Jim, I recognize that photo as I was at the auction too. I think that Atkins #51 was intentionally blued over the entire surface. I wanted to buy it and learn more about how the bluing would work out but wanted to save for the next saw up.
Don

I think that saw went for $500+. Quite an interesting saw. I wonder if the blue effect was due to then tempering process like some spring steel and John suggested or if it was a chemical process like bluing used on firearms for corrosion protection?

Did you buy the next saw?

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby sandersdwa » July 16th, 2015, 10:49 am

Jim,
yes, I bought the 541. Went for much more than I had hoped. If I had known you were there I would have liked to introduced myself.
I bet you were the one that bought the 10' saw or did you get all the 7'6" 513 on the first wall?

Don
sandersdwa

Postby Jim_Thode » July 16th, 2015, 10:18 pm

Don,
I got the 10' felling saw. Was not cheap but it is actually a collector and user saw. It is razor sharp, ready to go to work and I did not have anything that long. It also has the Royal Chinook logo on it and I'll hang it in the house till I find a 6 or 7' tree to fall.

I was walking around most of the time with a camera. Maybe you are in this photo:
Z99A9013s.jpg

Jim
Jim_Thode

Next

Return to Saw ID