Superior,ID. saw

Post here if you are trying to identify a saw, or want to discuss specific features of saws that can be used for identification.

Superior,ID. saw

Postby Starling_Saw » September 10th, 2017, 6:49 am

Looking for information on this saw. It was found on a fire in Idaho. It looks like a Canadian version because of the three holes.
Attachments
IMG_1528_4268.JPG
IMG_1531_4271.JPG
Starling_Saw

Re: Superior,ID. saw

Postby Trailsawyer » September 12th, 2017, 8:27 am

This is an unusual pattern, for sure!
I suspect that it might be an Atkins, as I have seen the directional rakers on their drag saw blades.
The closest thing I have found is in the 1941 Atkins catalog - model/style No. 542. The 542 has the directional rakers the full length of the saw however.
Gary
Trailsawyer

Re: Superior,ID. saw

Postby Jim_Thode » September 12th, 2017, 7:05 pm

An interesting tooth pattern. I see it looks like the one way rakers are not swaged. Based on David R.'s one way raker saw that may be a good idea not to swage the rakers. David made a small saw with hooked/swaged shaped rakers and it did not seem to work. The rakers would just dig in. In either case it is oblivious that the one way rakers did not become very popular. However I have seen vintage filing instructions that recommended putting some lead in the last few rakers and that makes some sense for larger logs where the rakers would tend to kick cuttings out of the cut rather then into the center of the log.

This is David's saw:

I think David also had a one way raker vintage saw but I don't know the brand/model.

Jim
Jim_Thode

Return to Saw ID