Class/Workshop near Minneapolis in late June

Got a trail project or crosscut saw training or certification course you want to advertise? Post it here!

Class/Workshop near Minneapolis in late June

Postby sumnergeo » May 26th, 2014, 2:55 am

I'm organizing a class/workshop on crosscut saw filing if anyone is interested. It will be on June 28th, just north of Minneapolis/Saint Paul at Mike Siemsen's School of Woodworking. http://schoolofwood.com/classes.

We have a couple of sign-ups to date.

I don't charge for the class but there is a cost to use MSSW facility that will include coffee, lunch and plenty of box elder to try out our newly sharpened saws. We will have space to work indoors with adequate saw vises, jointers, files, gauges, etc. My plan is to go from a rusty saw in need of lots of work to a finished product. It will be a hands on class. If you don't have a saw, I have a couple 'diamonds in the rough' to work on.

John Sumner - sumnergeo@yahoo.com
sumnergeo

Location: Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Houston, Texas; Minneapolis

Re: Class/Workshop near Minneapolis in late June

Postby Double Ott » June 26th, 2014, 10:47 am

Hi John, Having signed up for your workshop awhile ago, it's getting close. I'm really looking forward to it. I've read crosscut saw books, manuals and watched you tube and DVD (Warren Miller) videos. But, a hands on experience will be very valuable for me.

I know that you are bringing all the tools and saws we will need.....But part of the fun for me is to haul some of my own.Hopefully I can learn the proper way to adjust and use them at the course.

See ya soon, Tom
Double Ott aka, Tom
Double Ott

Postby Gavin Longrain » June 26th, 2014, 11:52 am

Geez, I'd love you to do the same this side of the pond. :idea:
Would you happen to be going to UK or Scotland in next 12 months?
Gavin Longrain

Postby sumnergeo » June 29th, 2014, 6:17 pm

collagex.jpg
We had six budding saw filers for the class with participants coming from Wisconsin and Minnesota. They brought all kinds of vintage saws and filing tools and one participant had a local high school shop make several types of jointers. We mostly got saws filed before the storm hit and a good time was had by all. Thanks to Mike Siemsen's School of Woodworking for giving us a place to hold the class. Photos:
collagey.jpg
sumnergeo

Location: Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Houston, Texas; Minneapolis

Postby soli » June 29th, 2014, 9:57 pm

You're a good man for putting yourself out like that, sharing your skills and knowledge. Nice job.
soli

Postby Double Ott » June 30th, 2014, 4:31 pm

I was one of John's (sumnergeo's) budding saw filer attendees. I have to really thank John for putting together a rather comprehensive course. While a fellow can watch videos and read all about the art of saw filing, for me it was so valuable to have a hands on experience. John took us through each step by a group and then he would work with each one of individually. It was great to have 6 students. He was able to work with all of us individually.

As a student the value was the hands on tutoring. After reading the stories here about broken rakers and snapped cutters and other horror sharpening stories here, I now know how hard to hit a raker, and where to hit a cutter to set it. I can set up a jointer and use a combination tool. You just can't beat a hands on guidance from an experience filer .

While all this may sound trivial to all you experienced filers, it was a fantastic class for me wanting to get started with filing.

My sincere thanks to John, it was a most excellent experience. It was one of the most interesting and enjoyable days that I can remember. I'll have to spend a little more time to finish my saw at home before I get some nice noodles with it...But I can proceed with confidence.

Thanks again, John

Tom
Double Ott aka, Tom
Double Ott

Postby ChiricahuaZac » July 2nd, 2014, 7:41 am

Very nice John!

I have no doubt that you put on a very clear and thought out class. There really is no substitute for hands on learning, its great you could do this.

Looks like you guys could make some saw bucks at your next “tool night”!
ChiricahuaZac

Postby goodfeller » July 3rd, 2014, 9:58 am

That reminds me. Northern Tool sells a folding, light-weight saw buck that goes for around $25. Can't handle very heavy logs but OK for smaller stuff and good for taking to demos and such.

And John, please let us know when you do this again. If possible, I'd like to attend.
goodfeller

Postby 8yearplan » August 15th, 2014, 10:13 pm

i would like to attend also John.
8yearplan

Postby TheLastAxeman » October 8th, 2015, 1:00 pm

This is only an hour away for me! Didn't know something this close existed.
TheLastAxeman

Return to Trail Projects and Training Opportunities