Minnesota crosscut saw filing class pics and etc.

Got a trail project or crosscut saw training or certification course you want to advertise? Post it here!

Minnesota crosscut saw filing class pics and etc.

Postby Dale Torma » June 25th, 2016, 5:48 pm

The saw class by John Sumner and Mile Siemsen was great! A great learning opportunity and lots of fun. We had a few saws to consider working on, I had the Simonds I cleaned up at home yesterday and a few ugly painted saws I found at a garage sale, John had a mystery one man saw with a welded handle on the far end and I chose one of the ugly painted saws that needed work as a better learning opportunity than the relatively new looking Simonds.
Here is an ugly saw from the group of four I had brought with.
image.jpg
Dale Torma

Re: Minnesota crosscut saw filing class pics and etc.

Postby Dale Torma » June 25th, 2016, 5:56 pm

We went over some basic steps and did some "before" test cuts with the saws. After deciding to work on the green saw, Mike took it inside to remove the handle, which was in 3 pieces, and put some lacquer thinner on the saw. After the thinner soaked in, he easily scraped the paint off and started sanding it with 180 grit to cut the rust. While sanding and cleaning, we were excited to find red paint on the handle end, and a Simonds 221 etching on the saw. It was no longer ugly, but a diamond in the rough. Here are the partly filed teeth next to the almost unused 221 I had cleaned the day before. This saw had seen some use!
image.jpg
Dale Torma

Postby Dale Torma » June 25th, 2016, 6:01 pm

Here are Mike Siemsen and John Sumner evaluating a Simonds and Johns "mystery saw" with the welded handle.
image.jpg
Attachments
image.jpg
Dale Torma

Postby Dale Torma » June 25th, 2016, 6:04 pm

While John got me started on the jointing , Mike showed us how to repair the handle, which I thought was unrepairable.
It is now a good handle!
image.jpg
Dale Torma

Postby Dale Torma » June 25th, 2016, 6:07 pm

After jointing, there was so much work to do on the rakers, mike showed us how to expedite the process by notching the raker center with a cut off wheel on a die grinder. I have to get one! Saves hours of filing.
image.jpg
Last edited by Dale Torma on June 25th, 2016, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale Torma

Postby Dale Torma » June 25th, 2016, 6:15 pm

While I was filing, John and Mike carefully cut the welds and remove the handle on the "mystery saw" then they cleaned it up and found it was an Atkins! What a lucky day, part of the adventure is the excitement of finding out what is hiding under the rust!
John continued to coach me on the rakers as I progressed. Maybe John will post some pictures.
Here is my cleaned up saw with its partners and wearing a Simonds helper handle John gifted to me.
image.jpg
Last edited by Dale Torma on June 25th, 2016, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale Torma

Postby Dale Torma » June 25th, 2016, 6:22 pm

John helped me shape the rakers, they were extremely hard so we decided to not swage them for now, even thinned down, they would not move and I was afraid of breaking them. I can always hot swage them later. John also helped me re shape the teeth and he checked the set, it had 8 thousandths on one side and none on the other. After coaching me through various methods of setting teeth, it was ready for its repaired handle and a trial cut next to the cut we made before working on it, the results were impressive, see below the green before cut and the nice clean after cut, then we chunked up some firewood with it. It spit out nice noodles without the swaging!
image.jpg
Last edited by Dale Torma on June 25th, 2016, 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dale Torma

Postby Dale Torma » June 25th, 2016, 6:27 pm

I have to thank them both for sharing their skills, knowledge, and time. John showed me how to use various filing and setting tools, Mike even made some wooden " spiders" for me to use later.

I thank John and Mike for the opportunity, and their great generosity. It was a great day and well worth the time and trip!
I recommend it highly for anyone wanting to advance their knowledge and skills!

Thanks again guys!

Also Mike does awesome wood working classes , I am planning on attending some!
Dale Torma

Postby leaycraft » June 26th, 2016, 2:58 am

Last summer I built the woodworkers bench Mike talks about on his DVD "The Naked Woodworker". I talked with him on 2 occasions and found him quite helpful and wiling to share his knowledge. If I were closer (I'm in NJ) I would for sure take a class or two with him.
leaycraft

Postby Dale Torma » June 27th, 2016, 4:53 am

Filing a new tooth profile , the pattern is an almost unused 221
image.jpg
Dale Torma

Next

Return to Trail Projects and Training Opportunities