Daft - or genius: learn saw-filing remotely?

Got a trail project or crosscut saw training or certification course you want to advertise? Post it here!

Daft - or genius: learn saw-filing remotely?

Postby Gavin Longrain » May 17th, 2016, 10:02 am

We run next saw-sharpening course 8 & 9 Oct 2016. We'll cover raker-toothed saws. I want any newbie filer to have had some experience before the event. Hence my idea: I ship a Great American second-hand saw to student. I'll have jointed, removed set and de-rusted at least the tooth-line if not the whole saw. I also ship a plank saw-vise, spider and knife-file. Student fixes plank saw-vise in his own vice at his workbench or rigs up inverted 'V' legs to support the plank-vise. He files to the dot, then sets using whatever hammers he has available - one for striking the tooth and another for the anvil.

Of course this would be FAR easier at a course, but it will at least allow folk to have-a-go. This will mean that when attending a course later, they have some prior learning. Or if not able to attend a course, they may be able to learn on their own.

It saves travel cost, time and accommodation. Sadly it cuts out the wonderful fellowship of a bunch of people sharing knowledge, enthusiasm and a beer after the day is done.

Is this a wonderfully clever idea? or am I barking mad?
Gavin Longrain

Re: Daft - or genius: learn saw-filing remotely?

Postby dayle1960 » May 17th, 2016, 12:47 pm

I think the postage to ship the saw anywhere in the world would be cost prohibitive for your adventure. Just go to FedEx, DHL, or your local postal service and ask for shipping rates to anywhere. Make sure you have the dimensions of the articles to be shipped, if they will all fit in one box, and approximately how much it weighs. I bet you won't be able to ship it for under $75US.

Not a bad idea, though, but I'd think you posting a YouTube video would be sufficient to teach us how to file a saw.

Just my two cents worth of experience.
Terry
dayle1960

Re: Daft - or genius: learn saw-filing remotely?

Postby PATCsawyer » May 17th, 2016, 2:24 pm

Give VR another year or two and with a headset you'll be able to have a worldwide audience from your living room.
PATCsawyer

Return to Trail Projects and Training Opportunities