6 - 8 May 2016, Tyntesfield, England: saw and other courses

Got a trail project or crosscut saw training or certification course you want to advertise? Post it here!

6 - 8 May 2016, Tyntesfield, England: saw and other courses

Postby Gavin Longrain » October 20th, 2015, 10:06 am

I will be organising various courses at the Bodgers Ball, 6 - 8 May 2015, Tyntesfield, England. Amongst the courses will be saw sharpening. I am hopeful Sawman will join us.

If you like playing and making with wood and you are in Europe, you'd love this festival. Despite the name, there is no dancing at all. And it's dirt cheap to get a ticket.

Google 'Bodgers Ball' and you'll see a number of videos that give a flavour of the event where power tools are out and hand-powered, traditional ways of working are in.
Last edited by Gavin Longrain on November 16th, 2015, 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Longrain

Re: 6 - 8 May 2015, Tyntesfield, England: saw and other cour

Postby Gavin Longrain » November 4th, 2015, 12:20 pm

The Bodgers Committee have asked me to arrange courses at Bodgers Ball 2016 at Tyntesfield National Trust, near Bristol, England.

I have got furthest ahead with organising the saw-sharpening course.

Because I want to make sure the tutor provides what people need from a saw-sharpening course, I would like to ask some questions of anyone who:

1. is interested in big toothed saw-sharpening - you need not have any prior experience.
2. will be available to attend BB 2016, Tyntesfield, England from 9 am Friday 6 May.
3. can spend possibly 15 minutes with me on the phone to answer some questions.

If you have no saw currently, the tutor indicates he will have 2nd hand saws available, and at much cheaper prices than Flinn Garlick sell theirs.

If you meet the three criteria above, PM me.

FYI we will be sharpening peg-tooth or Great American saws i.e. not raker-toothed saws.
Gavin Longrain

Re: 6 - 8 May 2016, Tyntesfield, England: saw and other cour

Postby Sawman » November 15th, 2015, 12:15 am

Hi all, after a chat with Gavin I would just like to firm up on how the course will go. I and Gavin will bring 5 Great American pattern saws which will be in a state ready to be filed. As the G.A is a real workhorse and a good all rounder it is an excellent saw pattern to learn on, which then makes way to then go onto raker pattern saws. The saw you learn on you will take home at the end of the course. As by then they will be a working saw again. I will show you all aspects of crosscut saws (long saws) from buying, what to look out for how to clean, straighten, file,tools needed,general care and there use. By the end of the course you should be able to pick up any type of rusty scrap saw and make into a working tool again. I will bring saw vices and a lot of other saws including raker tooth saws that I will show how to file one. This will be a very hands on course with lots of one to one. If you have any questions about the course please ask myself all Gavin. Regards Duncan.
Last edited by Sawman on December 17th, 2015, 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sawman

Postby PackStringSaw » November 15th, 2015, 3:59 am

Good job, fellas! Glad you do this. It looks like fun, wish I could join you. We do an annual saw sharpening course here in Pagosa Springs, Colorado, U.S., will have to think of a cool name for it to match 'Bodgers Ball'. :) Really glad you do this. Thank you.
John
PackStringSaw

Re: 6 - 8 May 2016, Tyntesfield, England: saw and other cour

Postby Sawman » November 15th, 2015, 10:22 am

Hi John , Thanks for the encouragement, its about time us Brit's started to add our bit to this story as both countries made some wonderful saws. We just can't forget our heritage and our part in it. In the States you are all very organised when it comes to subjects like this, we are on some things steam trains, boats,cars etc but long saws just haven't got going yet. As time goes on I am sure they will take off and all will be well. Perhaps twining of U.K and U.S trail groups for the future maybe, sounds good to me. Thanks again it does help to hear from other parties. It just lets us know we are on the wright track and not a voice in the wilderness.
Last edited by Sawman on December 17th, 2015, 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sawman

Postby Jim_Thode » November 15th, 2015, 10:40 am

Gavin Longrain wrote:I will be organising various courses at the Bodgers Ball, 6 - 8 May 2015, Tyntesfield, England. Amongst the courses will be saw sharpening. I am hopeful Sawman will join us.

If you like playing and making with wood and you are in Europe, you'd love this festival. Despite the name, there is no dancing at all. And it's dirt cheap to get a ticket.

Google 'Bodgers Ball' and you'll see a number of videos that give a flavour of the event where power tools are out and hand-powered, traditional ways of working are in.

I would bet you're thinking of 2016 and not 2015. Time marches on....
Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby Gavin Longrain » November 16th, 2015, 3:08 am

Jim_Thode wrote:
Gavin Longrain wrote:I will be organising various courses at the Bodgers Ball, 6 - 8 May 2015, Tyntesfield, England. Amongst the courses will be saw sharpening. I am hopeful Sawman will join us.

I would bet you're thinking of 2016 and not 2015. Time marches on....
Jim

d'oh - now fixed. Thanks Jim!
Gavin Longrain

Return to Trail Projects and Training Opportunities