some sort of instant saw vise ?

Got a trail project or crosscut saw training or certification course you want to advertise? Post it here!

some sort of instant saw vise ?

Postby Gavin Longrain » May 13th, 2015, 1:15 am

It is very likely we will run sawfiling sessions at Bodgers Ball 2016. Venue is probably Tyntesfield, near Bristol.
This is an annual gathering of human-powered woodworking. Because several of us want basic sawfiling to be more widely available in the UK, we are minded to set up some sort of bring-your-old-saw-along workshop.

So if you have a mind to come to UK then and share your skills, please contact me.

Our biggest problem will be creating sufficient saw vises. There are usually plenty of free logs on Bodgers Ball site, but never any free, straight, flat planks good for saw vises.
What suggestions has anyone for making some sort of instant saw vise ? from logs, or sheets of ply or...? It need not be perfect, it needs to be cheap & quick to fashion - just so folks can get an idea of how they could do this at home. Quick and cheap is much more important than wonderfully efficient. Going by the number of old saws sold at this event, there IS a need for such how-to sessions.

Here is a still from Harry Rogers video. I don't admire his technique, but I do admire that he has had a go and created a better-running saw.
Attachments
Harry R.png
Gavin Longrain

Re: some sort of instant saw vise ?

Postby goodfeller » June 12th, 2015, 11:11 am

Gavin reminded me of a photo I have been meaning to post. A while back I was visiting a friend who had a couple of saws he wanted to sharpen but no vise. Rummaging around his garage, I found a Black and Decker Workmate and a couple pieces of composite siding. Had to use a couple of clamps as well as the Workmate did not hold the saw well enough on its own. We sat on a stool to file as the Workmate sits low. I would not want to do a lot of saws and certainly no big two-man this way but it worked and it probably would not be a bad solution for someone living in an apartment or other restricted space (cell?) and who only did occasional filing.
Attachments
DSCN3368.JPG
goodfeller

Postby soli » July 1st, 2015, 10:07 am

I use a relatively straight length of 2x6 (1.5x5.5 inches). The top edge is cut to an arc with a skill saw. As a guide, the top edge steeply beveled with a power planer to match the angle at which I like to hold the file for the cutters. Also as a guide, I used a bevel square to draw a number of parallel lines on the face of the bevel (in both directions) to match that angle of the file position. The back of the 'vice' is another 2x6 with the same arc but no beveling. The two 2x6s are clamped together. Both 2x6's have ears on both ends that are 1.5" thick for clamping the 2x6s to a work bench.
soli

Postby Gavin Longrain » July 6th, 2015, 8:36 am

Thanks Soli. It sounds pretty simple. Any chance you post pictures please? This will make it easier to get others to make one before the event.
Gavin Longrain

Return to Trail Projects and Training Opportunities