Eastern Filer's Skill Share

Got a trail project or crosscut saw training or certification course you want to advertise? Post it here!

Eastern Filer's Skill Share

Postby trailcrew » April 15th, 2015, 4:41 am

Well, it looks like filers in the Western US and Scotland are getting together, seems like we ought to do something in the East. Just gauging interest in a get together for a weekend in late summer or fall. American Conservation Experience could host in Asheville, NC with a decent space to work and potentially accomodations could be provided. I'm open to other locations as well and would make the trip myself.
Josh
trailcrew

Re: Eastern Filer's Skill Share

Postby PATCsawyer » April 15th, 2015, 5:57 am

Perhaps. I'll be in Brevard from 18-22 May to recert for my Crosscut C card. How close are you to Cradle of Forestry? I'm not familiar with ACE, but their website has lots of trail info. Do they have an office in Asheville?
PATCsawyer

Postby bwilbur » April 15th, 2015, 6:38 pm

I am interested from a learning perspective. Not sure that I would be able to contribute at this point. NC is closer to me than Missoula.
bwilbur

Postby Gavin Longrain » April 15th, 2015, 10:01 pm

bwilbur wrote:Not sure that I would be able to contribute at this point.

Don't let that belief stop your attending! Because various problems of set-up and logistics will be met and then overcome by you all jointly e.g. we got creative with differing saw-vise patterns and filing sequences. Because you need at least five in any group for synergy to really build, do add yourself bwilbur to that critical mass! Someone to help with the vital and peripheral logistics of feeding, watering and accommodating allows others with more technical skill to do what they are good at. So even if someone aint technically competent, they know how to arrange feeding and sleeping arrangements and suitable stores of files and other resources.

One reason I called our Scottish session a skill-share was that then no one expects to sit back and to be done unto - everyone approaches the event from a mindset of What can I contribute? - just as bwilbur is clearly doing now!
Gavin Longrain

Postby trailcrew » April 18th, 2015, 10:43 am

Brevard is about 35 minutes from ACE's office in Fletcher, NC. There we have more than enough room to set up vices and we have decent overhead fluorescent light. ACE is a residential program, so the potential accommodations would be at our house in Asheville proper which is 20 minutes from the office.
Josh
trailcrew

Postby Roscoe » April 27th, 2015, 3:47 pm

I could travel to Ashville for a skill share. I only made the wait list for the WSI In Brevard.
Roscoe

Return to Trail Projects and Training Opportunities