Putting Lead in a saw

A forum about crosscut saw filing

Re: Putting Lead in a saw

Postby Dale Torma » June 3rd, 2016, 3:28 am

Jim, I just read your post on how a saw cuts, and your thoughts on this make sense to me.
I also can visualize and understand springback under the trailing raker tooth. The leading tooth , depending on the angles filed, could pull the trailing tooth down for sure, and wood can compress and spring back under a sled runner like device. Not so much under a sharp knife.

These questions make this subject of the "simple saw" fascinating. We are re-discovering things that some of the old time filers knew. On another thought, if an old time filer was filing for a bunch of sawyers, he could either make your days in the woods pleasant or difficult if you ticked him or her off. Like at my place of work, you don't tick off the mechanics, they can get even very easily.
Dale Torma

Postby PATCsawyer » June 3rd, 2016, 5:29 am

Jim_Thode wrote:.......... Saws are designed and work best when the saw is rocked so that all the teeth are in contact with the wood at all times.

Jim

Getting a little off topic here, but that rocking motion would conform to the arc/circle of the saw and seems to confound people in a two-man under bucking scenario. Obviously, to under buck efficiently, both sawyers need to rock downward in the opposite motion of a top buck. But newer sawyers always want to use the same upward arm motion for both cuts, thereby jamming their undercuts.
PATCsawyer

Postby Dale Torma » June 4th, 2016, 3:57 am

Since the rakers are a bit too high on my refurbished junk saw, I'm going to file a bit of "lead"into it just for the heck of it.
Dale Torma

Postby Jim_Thode » June 4th, 2016, 9:48 am

Dale Torma wrote:Since the rakers are a bit too high on my refurbished junk saw, I'm going to file a bit of "lead"into it just for the heck of it.

If you put some lead in will you do it it make it cut more on the pull stroke or push stroke? I've heard that some competition saw filers have used some lead on single bucking saws but I don't really know if it was to increase the cut on the push or pull stroke. When single bucking with no lead a saw will normally cut more on the push stroke because there is more down pressure on the push stroke. I guess with a very stiff saw some lead to make it cut more on the push stroke would work okay. Maybe someone else has some experience or ideas.
Jim_Thode

Postby Dale Torma » June 4th, 2016, 11:31 am

I filed lead on both ends, 12 and 14 thousandths each raker tips, toward the center and filed both tips on the center to 13 thousandths.
Its cutting much faster, but a bit rough on small wood and branches. Lots more and thicker noodles too
image.jpg
Dale Torma

Postby Dale Torma » July 3rd, 2016, 5:44 pm

When you really look at what thickness 2-3 thousandths actually is, it is minute.
I hope I get good at this filing, then I can try different things on similar saws. I have several Simonds 221, one man saws and can try comparisons when filed differently.
I'm wondering if the different I felt with the lead I filed in the last saw is just my imagination, but it does seem to cut very well. Maybe my sawing technique is getting better.

This winter I hope to cut 12 or so cords of birch and poplar firewood with my crosscut saws. Cutting large volumes of wood should give me a better idea of increased or decreased performance. I'm sure the wood will cut differently in -20 temps compared to 20 above zero.
Dale Torma

Previous

Return to Filing