Order of operations

A forum about crosscut saw filing

Re: Order of operations

Postby Crosscut Sawyer » December 23rd, 2011, 3:50 pm

I see. What I do is set the teeth, then point them, and then go through and remove any burrs with a stone. I double check all my teeth with a spider at the very end of the process, just in case, but since the burr is in addition to set, I've never had to adjust any teeth during this. I've also heard of some people filing into the teeth, and that would prevent burrs, too.
One thing I like about setting teeth before pointing, and this is a newer technique I've recently learned, is that if a tooth is slightly (<--- key word) over set, I can take a flat file, put it on the back of the tooth, and pull it towards me to take a little bit of metal down. This may prevent me from needing to strike that tooth at all.
Crosscut Sawyer
Site Admin

Postby PATCsawyer » December 23rd, 2011, 7:09 pm

I think that's how some competition filers do their teeth, only they wrest them into an overset and then back hone to an exact finish set. Filing into the teeth would certainly eliminate the burr, though that would take some getting used to and I'd have to redirect my normal light source.
PATCsawyer

Postby Chezem » July 21st, 2012, 9:31 am

PATCsawyer wrote:Surely lots of opinions to follow. As for me,

1. Clean and straighten.
2. Gum out gullets and space between teeth. Consider lowering gullets and lengthening teeth if stubby.
2a. Look for impact fractures and pitting on the now clean teeth (might effect how I joint the saw).
3. Joint.
4. Shape the rakers, burying my taper file to make a deep V. If hard, torch first.
5. Swage rakers to the pin.
6. File rakers to final height.
7. FIle flat side of rakers to remove swage burr. All raker filing now done.
8. Point teeth, filing toward the tip (some file into the tip). I rough file all teeth first, then finish file.
8a. Hone the burr off the back of each tooth with a fine stone or diamond strop while finish filing.
9. Hammer set teeth.

I never thought much about how setting last would effect the raker height relative to the teeth. I worry more about filing past the "dot" since I can't glue that metal back on.

Great info from everyone, Thanks for all the posts!
Question on item #4, "If hard, torch first." I am not sure as to what you suggested.
Chezem

Postby trailcrew » July 21st, 2012, 10:07 am

#4 refers to heating brittle teeth or rakers with a torch in order to soften the metal. Take a look at this thread for more info.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=448
Josh
trailcrew

Postby Chezem » July 23rd, 2012, 4:22 am

trailcrew wrote:#4 refers to heating brittle teeth or rakers with a torch in order to soften the metal. Take a look at this thread for more info.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=448

Thanks Josh! That is a very informative thread. I tried it the way described and it worked well.

Chez
Chezem

Postby trailcrew » August 4th, 2012, 4:47 am

Just filed an Atkins #330 and figured out why Dolly sets teeth before she points and swages. I finished all steps, 4 or 5 hours into the saw, and was going to finish with setting the teeth. I got about one third of the way into the saw and CRACK! I busted a tooth off. It didn't make a whole lot of sense to me because it filed well and the metal moved pretty good when I swaged it. I asked Dolly about welding the tooth back on and she advised me to look at the break. Sure enough, there a little area of oxidation on the broken surface showing where an existing fracture had been. Looks like my saw had been plier set previously. 5 hours of work and a good saw down the tubes.
Josh
trailcrew

Postby benjaminkansas » August 4th, 2012, 10:52 am

Josh,Im sorry to hear the tooth broke when you were setting the teeth :( If it was plier set is that set further down the tooth?I just looked at the catalog,champion tooth?Will one end tooth matter much?If so, you now have an oppertunity to scribe the factory arch back and file to it.Its a bummer when this happens.Hopefuly it snapped less than 1/4 in.Ths is one of the parts of the order of opperations I dread :( You shape your rakers nice or point your teeth as you would have them and banggo you whack it with a hammer!I like setting my hand saws.The little plier set sets them with ease.Thinner steel(D8s).Well,if I could encourage you,many here feel your pain.Hopefully you can get it back running someday.Brother Benjamin.
benjaminkansas

Postby goodfeller » August 4th, 2012, 1:12 pm

Hold it, Josh. I wouldn't flush that saw out too fast. Sure, it isn't the prettiest thing and there is the pride thing but even with a tooth missing, a well sharpened saw can do some good work, especially, strangely enough, in the hands of a lesser skilled crew. They are going to be a bit less efficient anyway and one tooth is probably not going to make that much difference. I'd hate to see your work go to waste.
goodfeller

Postby trailcrew » August 4th, 2012, 2:43 pm

Good call, Goodfeller. I suppose I will just donate it to my local conservation corps. My concern is that if I continue to set teeth I'll discover others with fractures. It did only take about 1/4 inch off the tip of the tooth, anyone ever re-arc a saw by other means than jointing for hours?
Josh
trailcrew

Postby benjaminkansas » August 4th, 2012, 5:27 pm

I have Josh.Ive jointed for hours.and I was thinking this is hard and not very acurite.The file goes to the least point of resistance.So the last saw I had to do heavy jointing on I scribed the factory arch on the concrete.set the saw over it to where it had the same distance from the back of saw to the begining of arch on both ends.Then with a ruler I scribed the arch on every tooth and raker.with that done I put the saw in the vice,and hand filed to the line.Its rough but it gets down alot quicker.Then I roughed in all teeth.and jointed.I was pleased with the results as apposed to jointing half a day.and the teeth were the same heighth end, middle,and end.nice round arch,rated to cut as the factory recomended.This is one sugjestion.I hope it helps.If you need an arch formula I can help.Brother Benjamin.
benjaminkansas

PreviousNext

Return to Filing