Saw Anvil

A forum about crosscut saw filing

Saw Anvil

Postby Jim_Thode » March 20th, 2018, 6:53 pm

I have a question about saw anvils.

Here is a vintage Atkins / Fisher saw anvil.

The top surface has a crown shape with the center part flat and the edges sloping down a little.

I saw this new saw anvil recently and noted that it has a dead flat surface:

So some questions come to mind.
Do all vintage saw anvils have a crowned surfaces?
What is the purpose of the crowned surface?

It most likely cost more to make an anvil with a crowned surface so there must have been some reason to make them this way.
For use with crosscut saws, would there be any advantage for a crowned or flat surface?

Jim
Jim_Thode

Re: Saw Anvil

Postby Gavin Longrain » March 21st, 2018, 1:06 am

A sawsmith I have taken lessons from says: better with CONCAVE surface. His is concave... and in this pic here he demonstrates this.

He smiths circular saws. There may be a case for a domed anvil for long saws to set teeth. Having smithed about 20 saws personally now since taking lessons from him, in my opinion you don't want a domed surface to level or to tension a saw and you are better with flat or concave surface for levelling and for tensioning. If you come to a different opinion, I will be very interested to read about that as I am still learning.

If you will be in UK from 27 to 29 July 2018, come to Sawfest for tuition in smithing from this saw-smith plus a great deal of other fun ☺. Refer sawfest.co.uk for more info

also : https://youtu.be/qO3V0JI77Dc
Attachments
20180116_092926b.jpg
Gavin Longrain

Postby Starling_Saw » March 21st, 2018, 6:02 am

I've found that when hammering any saw, whether it be a band or circular the hammer has a better ability to strike solidly, if the anvil is slightly crowned. When there is a concave surface the saw will be lifted from the anvil slightly and the hammer will just bounce off the saw plate. Most all my round saw anvils are slightly convex when freshly reground. Band saw anvils are flat. When the front edge of the band saw anvil gets worn from peening gullets we have them reground.
Starling_Saw

Postby Jim_Thode » March 21st, 2018, 5:31 pm

Gavin Longrain wrote:A sawsmith I have taken lessons from says: better with CONCAVE surface. His is concave... and in this pic here he demonstrates this.

He smiths circular saws. There may be a case for a domed anvil for long saws to set teeth. Having smithed about 20 saws personally now since taking lessons from him, in my opinion you don't want a domed surface to level or to tension a saw and you are better with flat or concave surface for levelling and for tensioning. If you come to a different opinion, I will be very interested to read about that as I am still learning.

If you will be in UK from 27 to 29 July 2018, come to Sawfest for tuition in smithing from this saw-smith plus a great deal of other fun ☺. Refer sawfest.co.uk for more info

also : https://youtu.be/qO3V0JI77Dc

I wonder if the concave surface is from wear over many years of use. I was also thinking maybe a reason for a slightly convex surface is to allow for some wear before it needs to be reground.

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby Jim_Thode » March 21st, 2018, 8:39 pm

Starling_Saw wrote:I've found that when hammering any saw, whether it be a band or circular the hammer has a better ability to strike solidly, if the anvil is slightly crowned. When there is a concave surface the saw will be lifted from the anvil slightly and the hammer will just bounce off the saw plate. Most all my round saw anvils are slightly convex when freshly reground. Band saw anvils are flat. When the front edge of the band saw anvil gets worn from peening gullets we have them reground.

John,
Can you still buy new saw anvils? If so does and buyer have an option of a flat for crowned surface?

I see them listed in vintage saw catalogs but they do not give any details.

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby Starling_Saw » March 25th, 2018, 8:26 am

I'm thinking that Burton Saw can still get anvils of what ever size and shape you want. Most will be mild steel blocks. I send my anvils in to have them reground about every five years. The round saw anvils have a slight crown to them unless you want it flat. the Band saw anvils are flat. Armstrong, Burton saw, BGR, Cut Technologies and Simonds are all one big group as of a couple months ago. (merger) It'll be a new world for the wood products industries.
Starling_Saw

Return to Filing