Handles for Atkins #4 hammer

A forum about crosscut saw filing

Re: Handles for Atkins #4 hammer

Postby Starling_Saw » March 8th, 2017, 9:02 pm

Jim_Thode wrote:
dayle1960 wrote:Swage bars? Good grief, something else for me to dive into. Got an explanation on what a bar is used for, since I am so dense and lazy to research it myself. Honestly, this is the first time I've seen one and I ain't got a clue what it's purpose might be.

Disston says that the swage bar is for use on circular and gang saws. I guess that you could use it on a crosscut saw for swaging too. Some filers use a bar rather then hammering directly on the raker tooth.

Maybe John can say exactly how he would use it.

Disston Saw tools 2a.jpg

Jim

I've used them on crosscut saw Rakers, like you would use an anvil for cutters. because they are tapered, you slide the bar into the gullet and use the adjoining cutter tooth as part of a backstop for the bar. The round part of the bar will help you from making a sharp bend under the Raker tooth. They are also used to swage the tooth of circle and band saw teeth also, except the tooth is hammered so as the tooth will be wider than the saw plate. different size bars for different size gullets.
John
Starling_Saw

Postby dayle1960 » March 9th, 2017, 5:35 am

Is the bar smoothed tapered or sharpedged and stepped?
dayle1960

Postby Starling_Saw » March 10th, 2017, 12:12 pm

These two bars have six facets. Where the seventh and eighth would be, it is round. Overall they are tapered.
Starling_Saw

Postby underbucker » March 17th, 2017, 3:41 pm

First two prototypes of Dolly's modifications to Atkins #4 setting swaging hammer completed. Dolly is testing one, I am working with the second in my shop.
DSC05167 LR.jpg
underbucker

Previous

Return to Filing