Worn raker gauges.

A forum about crosscut saw filing

Worn raker gauges.

Postby Sawman » December 11th, 2016, 12:55 pm

Well one thing I found on the course in Scotland, just by accident was how out of true was the file plate on an old Atkins style raker gauge.
IMG_0644.jpg
This gauge I have set only for jointing as I use the Sandvik for the rakers.
IMG_0080.jpg
Put against a straight edge it is way off on both planes.
IMG_0648.jpg
As you can see it appears to have very little ware
IMG_0649.jpg
On picture 2 you can see how uneven the ware is (plate thicker on left of picture) So if used first of all the rakers will be way off and also different hight setting on the same raker, just to make matters a lot worse. So I need to grind it down to a constant level in both planes and make square, so a lot of on/off as it will have to be exact on the body. This maybe why some people are saying that they get a few if nothing of noodles. It just could be a worn file plate giving an extreme measurement.
Last edited by Sawman on December 12th, 2016, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sawman

Re: Worn raker gauges.

Postby sumnergeo » December 11th, 2016, 1:59 pm

I've made several new plates using 01 tool steel. There are posts somewhere on this site. The ones I replaced were so badly worn that no amount of grinding could have made them flat enough to be useable. http://crosscutsawyer.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1094&hilit=jointers
sumnergeo

Location: Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Houston, Texas; Minneapolis

Postby Sawman » December 11th, 2016, 2:08 pm

Thanks for that. I think I will just leave it as I don't use it for the rakers but will be useful for teaching to show what looks ok really isn't and also what to look out for and how to rectify.
Sawman

Postby whirlibird » December 15th, 2016, 9:55 pm

Another option that I was taught is to only do one side of the rakers, turn the tool to the other side of the saw and file the matching raker on the set. So that way you only use one "end" of the filing plate to reduce the chance of filing the rakers to different height from a crooked filing plate.

Brian
whirlibird

Postby PATCsawyer » December 16th, 2016, 4:35 am

whirlibird wrote:Another option that I was taught is to only do one side of the rakers, turn the tool to the other side of the saw and file the matching raker on the set. So that way you only use one "end" of the filing plate to reduce the chance of filing the rakers to different height from a crooked filing plate.

That's how Dolly teaches raker filing. Not all raker gauges have flat shoes either. Sight down the shoes and often they are tipped one way or the other. When the shoes are so far out of square that you can see it visually, you'll be measurably off from one side to the other. I like holding my raker gauge the same way every time though, so after filing one side of my rakers end-to-end, I flip the saw around and repeat with the same grip.
PATCsawyer

Postby whirlibird » December 16th, 2016, 6:12 pm

PATCsawyer wrote:That's how Dolly teaches raker filing. Not all raker gauges have flat shoes either. Sight down the shoes and often they are tipped one way or the other. When the shoes are so far out of square that you can see it visually, you'll be measurably off from one side to the other. I like holding my raker gauge the same way every time though, so after filing one side of my rakers end-to-end, I flip the saw around and repeat with the same grip.

Dolly is where I learned that technique and this thread has reminded me why she does so. It would not work on a sloped filing plate, but then you have to turn the saw or flip the tool around anyway.
Brian
whirlibird

Return to Filing