Atkins raker gauge

A forum about crosscut saw filing

Atkins raker gauge

Postby TheLastAxeman » December 4th, 2016, 4:10 pm

How do I set up this type of gauge for jointing or raker fitting?
Attachments
atkins.jpg
TheLastAxeman

Re: Atkins raker gauge

Postby sumnergeo » December 4th, 2016, 6:23 pm

For jointing:
On the other side of the jointer, there is a place for a file and a screw to hold it in place. Tightening the screw will bend the file slightly; you need to figure out how much bend to match the arc of the saw. Run the file across the top of the saw untill all the teeth have tiny bright triangles. The rakers may not get jointed if they are filed much below the teeth but I would concentrate on the teeth.

For raker depth:
Once jointed, place the tool on top of the saw. The raker teeth should rise slightly above the center plate. Those tools are made with different slot sizes - small slots for saws with the teeth close together and longer slots for bigger saws. You change the height of the plate with pieces of paper that go between the top of the jointer and the raker plate.

If this doesn't make sense, I'll take some pictures and post them.

My first jointer had a short slot and it really didn't work on bigger saws.
sumnergeo

Location: Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Houston, Texas; Minneapolis

Postby sumnergeo » December 4th, 2016, 6:28 pm

This picture is a few years old but gives you a sense of the sorts of jointers there are out there.
Jointers.jpg
sumnergeo

Postby TheLastAxeman » December 5th, 2016, 7:12 am

I had kind of guessed that was how it worked, but the jointing part of it wasn't working because there was too much space between the file and the steel plate that pushes up on the file when you turn the screw from the bottom. Simple answer: either get a much thicker file, or use a square nail as a spacer underneath it. That worked brilliant. Now I just have to adjust the filing plate
TheLastAxeman

Postby sumnergeo » December 5th, 2016, 11:14 am

Another thing to look out for, the ears that hold the file in place aren't always perfect after the casting and need to be dressed a bit to make certain that the file is at right angles to the saw plate. We found one that tilted the file - all the teeth on one side of the saw were shorter than the other.
sumnergeo

Postby PATCsawyer » December 5th, 2016, 2:24 pm

One nice thing about the Simonds 340 gauge is the two thumb screws. They put a double grip and a gentler bend on the file. Single screws don't always hold the file tight enough or dome it when tightened. You can easily over-arc your file while trying to secure it to the jointer.
PATCsawyer

Postby Starling_Saw » December 10th, 2016, 5:29 am

The Atkins is a good gauge to use for jointing and also side dressing the cutter teeth as a file can be placed both vertical and horizontal in it. If using it as a side dresser place the file at a slight angle, 2 degrees or more to keep the cutter teeth points at the widest part of the tooth set.
John
Attachments
IMG_20140927_165839.jpg
Atkins jointer with file in vertical position
Starling_Saw

Return to Filing