Best File Brand

A forum about crosscut saw filing

Best File Brand

Postby DucksinOR » November 8th, 2016, 7:30 pm

What is currently the best brand of files? I have bought some new Nicholson files (made in Mexico) and I recently found 2 old USA Nicholson mill bastard files at a antique store (a 6" and an 8") for $5.
DucksinOR

Re: Best File Brand

Postby Gavin Longrain » November 9th, 2016, 12:11 am

I like Vallorbe a.k.a Grobet . Made in Switzerland by the one firm but they are fiendish expensive. Buy one of any kind and see how you get on with it, only then commit to a box of 6 or 10 or 12.
Gavin Longrain

Postby Jim_Thode » November 9th, 2016, 11:44 am

Probably one of those question like is Ford or Chevrolet better. I've never seen any detailed review comparing quality, durability and cost of different file brands. I normally sharpen three or four saws with a Nicholson file I get at Walmart.

I see some info from a manufacturer that goes like: "The world's standard for quality and performance! Glardon-Vallorbe Swiss Made Precision files are manufactured by Usines Metallurgiques de Vallorbe (UMV) to precise production standards, using a combination of machine cutting and hand craftsmanship to produce the most accurate, best cutting, and longest-lasting files in the world. Formerly marketed in the United States using the brand names Grobet-Swiss and Grobet-Vallorbe, Glardon-Vallorbe Swiss Made Precision Files are made of the finest heat-tempered, chrome alloy steel and have the "right" feel, action and balanced desired by all true craftsmen. Glardon-Vallorbe Swiss Made Precision Files deliver"

I do see that you can buy an 8" Lg. Bastard Mill GROBET-SWISS file on Amazon for $2.56 each + shipping or ten for about $3.50 each with shipping included. That price is hard to beat in any brand.

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby Highway Bob » November 9th, 2016, 5:54 pm

Jim, could you post the Amazon link?
Highway Bob

Postby Jim_Thode » November 9th, 2016, 7:26 pm

Highway Bob wrote:Jim, could you post the Amazon link?

Just do a Google search for 8" Lg. Bastard Mill GROBET-SWISS file and it is the first thing that comes up.
Here it is: https://www.amazon.com/Bastard-Mill-Fil ... B002P50GNE

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby Highway Bob » November 9th, 2016, 8:03 pm

Thanks Jim!
Highway Bob

Postby Treeline » November 13th, 2016, 2:35 pm

Here's a link to an older post. I was not happy with the life I was getting out of the newer Nicholson files and I couldn't find many more of the old school Simonds files:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=864

I bought a bunch of these Bahco files and have been pretty impressed.
Treeline

Return to Filing