Diston Raker Gauge Question

A forum about crosscut saw filing

Diston Raker Gauge Question

Postby DucksinOR » October 2nd, 2016, 8:31 am

I have this nice Diston raker gauge, but I can't figure out what the little wheel with numbers is. I am thinking it is a pin gauge but I am not sure and I don't know what the numbers mean. Does anyone have a manual for it or know what the numbers mean.?
Attachments
100_4230.JPG
100_4231.JPG
DucksinOR

Re: Diston Raker Gauge Question

Postby macg » October 2nd, 2016, 4:21 pm

Hello,

an eccentric (raker) gage pin with many sided head, is the description given in the patent papers.

If you go to the Directory of American Tool And Machinery Patents web page,
datamp.org and type in the date it will come up with patents filed on that date.

Hope this helps.

Graham.
macg

Postby Trailsawyer » October 8th, 2016, 6:42 am

There are instructions for setting and using this gauge in the Disston catalog (1919?) that is on this website in the database.
download/file.php?id=9
I "rediscovered" this while looking for information on a Disston one man Lancet pattern saw (3 cutters per raker) that I accquired yesterday.
Gary
Gary
Trailsawyer

Postby Jim_Thode » October 8th, 2016, 7:59 am

From the link Gary posted here is what the six numbers represent and how the rotating "wheel" is used to set the raker height.
DissGauge2.jpg

DissGauge.jpg
Jim_Thode

Postby DucksinOR » October 9th, 2016, 3:53 pm

Thank you so much. I had looked at that catalog but had missed that page. I haven't started sharpening my saw yet, but my vice is almost ready to use. I am waiting for some rainy weather when the outside projects are done.

Matthew
DucksinOR

Postby sumnergeo » October 10th, 2016, 10:56 am

I found it interesting that 3, 4, 5 and 6 were all deeper than I normally set rakers. Perhaps I/we need to rethink this. I normally aim for .012 to .016. A deeper raker should result in a more aggressive saw...
sumnergeo

Location: Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Houston, Texas; Minneapolis

Postby Jim_Thode » October 10th, 2016, 4:22 pm

sumnergeo wrote:I found it interesting that 3, 4, 5 and 6 were all deeper than I normally set rakers. Perhaps I/we need to rethink this. I normally aim for .012 to .016. A deeper raker should result in a more aggressive saw...

The ideal raker depth depends on how hard the wood is, the size of the log and the power and down pressure on the saw. For small, soft logs with a strong sawyer (or two) the 1/32" (0.031") setting would be just right. For an all purpose saw for soft to hard and large to small logs a setting of 0.012" +/- is likely the best choice.

Another way to look at it is the thickness of noodles that a saw is putting out. Based on the configuration of the teeth and how a saw moves down through the wood, a noodle thickness of 0.050" indicates that a raker depth should be about 0.013". Occasionally I've measured noodles up to 0.10" thick on small soft logs and this would indicate that a raker depth of 0.031" would be needed.

If I have a saw sharpened just for small soft logs, I'd set the rakers close to 0.030". Of course this saw would not work well for harder or larger logs and the noodles would come out very very thin.

Jim
Jim_Thode

Return to Filing