how to best fix the axis of rotating saw vise?

A forum about crosscut saw filing

Re: how to best fix the axis of rotating saw vise?

Postby Gavin Longrain » April 15th, 2016, 8:01 am

So I tried PATC Sawyer solution and it works VERY well so far. There is no twisting of the frame. The only difficulty I find is the legs need tension to stop them opening. I used chain for tension but I think rope would be fine.
20160413_195209.jpg
Curve yet to be cut on horizontal plank

20160413_195252.jpg
Wooden lever to tighten eyebolt works VERY well

20160413_193836.jpg
T prong washer is just visible in the 42 mm dia hole

157519465.UeNVYvEB[1].jpg
Next idea will be to fit vertical battens to the horizontal plank - as Jim Thode usefully indicates in his image
Gavin Longrain

Postby Starling_Saw » April 16th, 2016, 5:54 pm

This is the second saw vice I've owned, both were similar. The pivot assemblies were made with the centers of circle saws, that I bored out to fit on a collared arbor. The original bore was 3/4" so I used short section of All Thread, about 3 1/2" long, which I welded to center hole of one of the circles, I also welded a short piece of 1 1/2" x 2" angle to it which is then attached to the vice backing board. The other circle piece I welded a short piece of flat steel bar, 2" x 6" x 1/4", which attaches to the frame or in my case a cabinet with castors so I can move it around my shop easy. The pivot assembly on the opposite end is made reversed. After assembling it on the cabinet and vice backing board, I tightened down the nut onto the bolt and then welded a 10" spike on it for a handle to tighten or loosen it easy. Because I used two different sized circles I could etch marks into them for different slope angles for quick adjustment.
Attachments
IMG_20150603_120343249_HDR_3354.JPG
Filing vise is made for an eight foot saw, but can handle longer lengths
IMG_20160413_074538494_HDR_3352.JPG
fixture with tightening nut and attachment plate removed
IMG_20160413_074028163_3349.JPG
Pivot bolt with angle welded for attachment to vise backing board, back side view
IMG_20160413_074317351_3350.JPG
Pivot bolt with angle welded for attachment to vise backing board, side view
IMG_20160413_074335748_3351.JPG
outside plate that attaches to cabinet
Starling_Saw

Postby Highway Bob » August 21st, 2016, 6:56 pm

Just finally got around to reading this post and thought I'd throw in my $0.02 worth. The simplest way to control the rotating axis is to use a hanger bolt, which has wood screw thread on one end and machine screw thread on the other. Drill the proper size hole in the end of the vise, double nut the machine thread end, wrench the wood screw end using the double nut to drive the screw. Works good!
Attachments
hanger bolt.PNG
Highway Bob

Postby Jim_Thode » August 22nd, 2016, 10:11 am

Highway Bob wrote:Just finally got around to reading this post and thought I'd throw in my $0.02 worth. The simplest way to control the rotating axis is to use a hanger bolt, which has wood screw thread on one end and machine screw thread on the other. Drill the proper size hole in the end of the vise, double nut the machine thread end, wrench the wood screw end using the double nut to drive the screw. Works good!

Structural loading of lag bolts in the end grain is somewhat erratic and generally not recommended. If the lag bolt part of the hanger bolt was long enough (most are not) and there was some method to prevent splitting it would probably work. However, given a choice I think I'd go with a barrel nut for the strongest and most reliable joint in this case.

Even a squared barrel nut would be a good option if they are available in the right size.

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby Highway Bob » August 22nd, 2016, 5:02 pm

With the "LOADS" you subject a rotating saw vise to, with the proper size pilot hole for the screw, it is not an issue. Indeed the barrel nut system is bullet proof and with a barrel nut you can torque the bolt until you twist it off or strip the threads...but why ....all it needs to do is carry shear (vise and saw weight) and be able to be tightened enough to resist the rotational forces. Advantage of the barrel nut is ease of breakdown for transport. Pilot hole for the screw thread is critical for sustained performance.

http://www.docgreenwoodturner.com/screwendgrain.html
Highway Bob

Postby soli » August 23rd, 2016, 7:26 am

I'd be inclined to cut a 3 inch long round tenon on each end of the plank, the same diameter as the plank's thickness. In the legs, matching holes 'split' with a kerf. A carriage bolt and knob near the end of the leg pinching a tight grip.

Here is a random picture of an altogether different application of the idea:

that image shows a C-clamp instead of a carriage bolt and knob.

If I was after just a few angles, then I might forget the kerf-clamp, instead drill 1/4"+ diameter hole through the leg and tenon for a 1/4" diameter dowel or rod to pin it at the desired angles. Multiple holes at different angles in the leg, and one or two holes in the tenon, or the other way around.

The other issue i'd address is making a single vise for radically different arcs, from a 3' one man to a 6' two-man. Instead of cutting an arc in the vise's plank, I'd be inclined to leave it uncut. Then cut custom arcs out of separate stock, rip the arc to a narrow thickness to have a half-moon, then bolt/screw the half-moon to the top of vise's plank.

I haven't done any of this, just thinking out loud here.
soli

Previous

Return to Filing