how to best fix the axis of rotating saw vise?

A forum about crosscut saw filing

how to best fix the axis of rotating saw vise?

Postby Gavin Longrain » April 8th, 2016, 9:53 pm

Below are 2 images of saw vises that rotate.
I will shortly be supporting Sawman deliver a filing class in a big tent in a field i.e. on uneven ground. We will have five students so need five vises that can adjust in height to suit each student. Going by the speed of bookings received in 24 hours, it is most likely we'll run these filing classes each year at this event ( called Bodgers Ball ) for many years to come, so it's worth while getting these vises just right.

My question is: what is best way to fix the horizontal axis bolt? The sketch in 2nd image is not clear how to anchor the threaded bar into the single plank of the vise.

I could get a fabricator to weld some threaded bar ( called 'allthread' in USA) or an eyebolt to a piece of metal - like this prototype. The smaller bolts fix thru the saw-vise plank.
2016-04-09_06-33-31.jpg

2016-04-09_06-33-45.jpg

2016-04-09_06-33-02.jpg
Gavin Longrain

Re: how to best fix the axis of rotating saw vise?

Postby PATCsawyer » April 9th, 2016, 5:02 am

I drilled a hole through my vise in line with the threaded bar and anchored it with a T-nut. When I tightened the hex nut on the other side, it pulled the prongs of the T-nut into the vise, locking it in place.

P1020890.JPG

P1020888.JPG

When traveling, I put the vise on a pair of folding legs which have several vertical holes to adjust for the height of the filer.

P1014096.JPG
PATCsawyer

Postby Gavin Longrain » April 9th, 2016, 8:42 am

PATC,
This T-prong washer idea looks like a real good solution. :D
    1. What diameter is the threaded bar above?
    2. What is the function of the two Phillips-head screws in the image above?
    3. What is the function of the hole in image above?
Gavin Longrain

Postby PATCsawyer » April 9th, 2016, 9:12 am

The threaded bolt is 5/16" but those T-nuts come in a variety of sizes.

The screws help hold together the two planks I made the vise from. Because the T-nut is centered between the two planks, it wants to pull them apart when tightened. I didn't have a source for a 3" wide plank so I glued two 2x10s together. The thicker plank has much less flex when filing.

The 1/2" hole is one of many I drilled through my vise to hold hex-head bolts. They act as hard stops in both the X and Y direction when swaging rakers. They also let me easily adjust the height of the saw I'm working on and slide it past the clamps, all while keeping it the same height.

P1020265.JPG
PATCsawyer

Postby Sawman » April 9th, 2016, 12:03 pm

Hi Gavin, I made this one up a while ago, from the wood you gave me.
L1000005.JPG
This is for all the d handles saws only and use the Dolly vise for the big boys.It will show how easy it is to make a simple vise. There is no tilt on this one which is fine as its for G.A. pattern which in my view doesnt need tilt. Also built it with bench vise in mind, the centre of the saw is still rock solid against the wood even though there is not a slat there were the bench vise is and just turn the saw vise round to do the other side. Simple and effective . I will be taking this one, two Disston saw clamps and Dolly so thats 4. The field could be a problem. The Dolly vise will be fine on uneven ground the work bench I am not so sure about. Will be in contact. Cheers Duncan.
Sawman

Postby dayle1960 » April 9th, 2016, 12:30 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVCesamjOzc

Jump to 7:22 and see Wranglerstars' bench. It clearly shows how he attaches the nuts to a handle. Hope this helps.
dayle1960

Postby Gavin Longrain » April 10th, 2016, 12:59 am

Opinions please: would a barrel nut be better than T-prong washer? i.e. which will be more inclined to split open the long grain of the vise?

T Prong fixing:
See barrel nut on eBay eg item number:271199013832
Gavin Longrain

Postby dayle1960 » April 10th, 2016, 1:43 am

I like the T-prong. Seems that the prongs would catch the wood and not turn whereas the nut would need a wrench to hold it tight while you turn the other end to tighten up the bench angle.

If you could find a T-prong with longer prongs or looks "beefier" I would like that better, though.
dayle1960

Postby PATCsawyer » April 10th, 2016, 5:24 am

I went with the T-nut because I couldn't find a 5/16 barrel nut at my local hardware store. I'm sure that either would work, as you're not torquing the nut all that tightly, just snug enough to keep the vise from rotating. If you want to add a belt to your suspenders, tilt your vise to whatever angle is most comfortable and drill a 1/4" hole through the post and it the end of your vise. You can then slip a pin in and it will never rotate.

Slide1.jpg
PATCsawyer

Postby Gavin Longrain » April 10th, 2016, 7:43 am

PATCsawyer wrote:... you're not torquing the nut all that tightly, just snug enough to keep the vise from rotating.

When mounted on a bench like you have done, you are quite right. The bench underneath will prevent wracking i.e. moving out of square.
But if mounted on inverted 'V' legs there will be quite a load as the whole vise-weight is borne on the end-grain of the vise-jaws - I suppose I must just try it and see what happens!
Gavin Longrain

Next

Return to Filing