Intro to the site and how to get your account activated

Postby outbackrider » November 4th, 2016, 11:37 am

Hello,
New to the forum and larger crosscut saws. Dad was a carpenter so we always had numerous hand saws
around, but when it came to firewood...we always had a couple of Stihls to make short work of the
chore. I've come to appreciate that the last thing Dad wanted to do was to fool around with a larger crosscut saw
to make firewood.

Years ago, a friend gave me a one man plain tooth crosscut, I always planned to do a bit of
a restoration on it. I was at camp with my son several weeks ago and we found a tree had blown across the access
route...it got us thinking...we better begin to practice the Scout motto "Be Prepared" We felt a level of vulnerability.
Once home, I began my search for crosscut saw restoration, fortunately I found this great site and with the help
of Youtube, I'm beginning to make a bit of progress. Though I do have a few questions so I will be posting those soon.
I've enjoyed the wealth of knowledge on the site and look forward to learning more.
Thanks.
obr
outbackrider

Re: New Member

Postby PATCsawyer » November 4th, 2016, 11:59 am

Welcome to the site. What state do you live in?
PATCsawyer

Postby outbackrider » November 4th, 2016, 2:48 pm

Hello,
I'm in Connecticut, our camp is upstate NY.

I read your write up on sharpening plain tooth, very informative.

Thanks,
obr
outbackrider

Postby PATCsawyer » November 5th, 2016, 1:25 am

Adirondacks? Have you seen Kelly Nolan's videos on camping/hunting/sawing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuFafE2 ... wj_EU1Bp6c
PATCsawyer

Postby outbackrider » November 6th, 2016, 4:57 am

Thanks for sharing that link, those are great videos, I've even subscribed to his site.

Turns out, our camp is about 2 miles as the crow flies from where J. Kelly Nolan is camping and making
the firewood stash. I believe he makes reference to you on this site in some of his comments,
in his firewood videos. Is that correct? If it is okay, I will send you a pm with several ??

Thanks again,
obr
outbackrider

Postby PATCsawyer » November 6th, 2016, 1:08 pm

Yeah, he was looking for a big one-man firewood saw. He has a lot of nice bushcrafty videos. That's some tent he has for winter camping!

Sure, ask away.
PATCsawyer

Return to Welcome! New users, start here!