Intro to the site and how to get your account activated

Postby whirlibird » October 16th, 2016, 9:25 pm

Hello, I am a new member and just got my account approval.

I got interested in crosscut saws after wildfires/high fire danger in northern Idaho shut down firewood cutting on state controlled land in 2015 right when I was cutting for winter. Figured there had to be another way so started searching online. I almost decided to purchase a new saw from a manufacturer that most here probably know but would not recommend. After reading a few other forums and reviews decided going with vintage was my preferred direction. Learned that to own and use a saw much, one should be able to sharpen and maintain.

I have taken a class this spring from Dolly Chapman and have completed two saws, although my learning curve has me considering resharpening the first saw now that I have improved my techniques a little.

Good to be here. Researching a question or two before I post what that might already have been answered.

Brian
whirlibird

Re: New member

Postby whirlibird » October 16th, 2016, 9:30 pm

Oh, forgot a detail or two.

I now have a 5 foot Simonds bucking saw and a 6 foot Simonds felling saw. Both are well used and but seem to have been cared for. Both I have sharpened, but have yet to fully test the bucking saw.

Edit: Both are Lance tooth saws.
whirlibird

Postby whirlibird » November 6th, 2016, 7:26 pm

During Dolly's class, trolleypup was comparing my saws and suggested the felling saw as a Simonds 513 and the bucking saw as a Simonds 520. After looking g at links posted in the database the buck saw appears to match, but not sure of the felling saw yet. What characteristics would I find in a well worn saw to correctly id it?
whirlibird

Postby Jim_Thode » November 6th, 2016, 10:09 pm

In general a falling saw will have one handle hole and most or the time a sway back. Sometimes it may be hard to identify the brand on a saw but you can easily narrow down the general quality by measuring the thickness on the teeth and back side of the saw. Saws that are very near or a little over 0.100" thick on the teeth side with a good taper are almost certainly one of the best of the big three makers. Disston 7-11 Felling, Simonds 513 Royal Chinook and Adkins 52 were all the best that were made.
You can find catalogs with pictures at:
http://www.crosscutsawyer.com/viewforum.php?f=7

At last in the PNW the Simonds 513 is the most common falling saw.

Jim
Jim_Thode

Return to Welcome! New users, start here!