merit of different 'D' handle patterns?

Discussions about other types of tools, logging history, trail maintenance, etc.

Re: merit of different 'D' handle patterns?

Postby Crosscut Sawyer » October 11th, 2013, 6:04 pm

I like the lower horn on a D-handle saw for underbucking. It's a great place to put your non dominant hand and add leverage. Top horn I haven't found a use for besides it looking cool.
Crosscut Sawyer
Site Admin

Postby dayle1960 » May 1st, 2016, 2:06 pm

I've been restoring a Disston D-115 panel hand saw and have been very unimpressed with the two horned handle feeling "just right" in my hand. A D-8 saw I have is sooooo sweet that I have decided to alter my D-115 to mimic its curved area which my palm slides onto.

Thus being said, I wonder why D style crosscut handles seem to never "fit" the palm of the hand. Wouldn't it behoove the sawyer to carve the handle to fit his hand so it wouldn't wear a blister on his hand or tire his hand out after hours of sawing? I now understand about the horns not being necessary on a crosscut handle. It sucks to have an impediment with the angle of the saw when cutting a log at ankle height.

So, should a sawyer reform the D-grip of the crosscut saw to his own preference or should he not alter it and let it be for future owners of the saw?

I also like the explanation of the larger hole in the D handle so a gloved hand can slide into it easier. But if your hand is gloved, will it negate the "good feel" of a carved handle?

Terry
dayle1960

Postby soli » May 1st, 2016, 9:51 pm

A saw with a two-horned handle can be stood up on its handle against, say, a wall. The angle of the grip relative to the motion of the saw is a factor.
soli

Postby sandersdwa » May 2nd, 2016, 10:17 am

Crosscut Sawyer wrote:I like the lower horn on a D-handle saw for underbucking. It's a great place to put your non dominant hand and add leverage. Top horn I haven't found a use for besides it looking cool.

Underbucked with the 223 you sold me just this last weekend. Thank you, I am very happy with it!
sandersdwa

Postby Jim_Thode » May 2nd, 2016, 6:55 pm

dayle1960 wrote:....So, should a sawyer reform the D-grip of the crosscut saw to his own preference or should he not alter it and let it be for future owners of the saw? Terry

Terry,
If it is a user and not some rare collectable, I'd reform it to fit your needs.

Here is my thoughts of a D handle:

P5020982a.jpg

P5020983a.jpg

P5020984a.jpg

Jim
Jim_Thode

Previous

Return to Other General Discussion