Cant Hook or Peavey

Discussions about other types of tools, logging history, trail maintenance, etc.

Re: Cant Hook or Peavey

Postby PackStringSaw » August 22nd, 2018, 3:56 am

Good stuff! The things highlighted are what we run into, e.g. moving large chunks of trees, bind on most of the trees we see, smaller crews (and not enough), etc. coupled with the sheer amount of trees we're seeing with our beetle-kill problem, and the tips you guys are discussing are certainly appreciated. The beetle kill issue is predicted to be a ten year problem for us, with trees over a fairly broad area having died five or so years ago; roughly a third of them are down now, and the other two thirds are expected to mostly be down in the next five or so years. Since the beetle attacked the larger trees for the most part, that's what we're seeing down across trails, so some heavy work for all. We're very interested in keeping our trails open, and so there's been a general increase in the number of people helping, many (or most) are un-skilled, but they work. And tips like yours help that picture.
John
PackStringSaw

Postby PackStringSaw » August 30th, 2018, 4:02 am

Sumnergeo, any luck finding that picture of a "Kimmel lever"? I get the general idea from your description, but (dumb question maybe) do you do anything else to it, e.g. flatten an end for prying/getting under logs, etc.? Tell Joe Longbotham hello for me; I met him sometime back along the Az Trail, he told me a story about being a UPS driver back in the 80's, running into our friend Dale Shewalter as he was doing his first cross-state hike for the Az Trail.
John
PackStringSaw

Postby sumnergeo » August 31st, 2018, 10:09 am

He's is supposed to get a picture to me so will post it when I get it. The aluminum pipe has a one inch inside diameter and a thick wall - 1/2" or 5/8".

John S.
sumnergeo

Location: Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Houston, Texas; Minneapolis

Postby sumnergeo » November 7th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Here is a photo of the Pry Pole (actually a pipe) from a recent bucking and felling certification class in the Chiricahua Mountains (Coronado Natl Forest).
pry-pole.jpg
sumnergeo

Location: Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Houston, Texas; Minneapolis

Postby PackStringSaw » November 10th, 2018, 4:20 am

Thanks! We're going to try that.
John
PackStringSaw

Previous

Return to Other General Discussion