Dial Gauge

Discussions about other types of tools, logging history, trail maintenance, etc.

Dial Gauge

Postby sumnergeo » June 4th, 2018, 1:22 pm

We used this dial gauge at the recent Saw Filing Class and would like to get more of them! It came in a blue plastic case with hard foam cut out.

It is 3 1/2 inches long and almost an inch wide at the dials. It has a dial on each side. No indication who made it but the dial is in thousands of an inch.
dial-gauge1.JPG

View from Left Side
dial-gauge2.JPG

View from Bottom and Partial of Right Side
sumnergeo

Location: Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Houston, Texas; Minneapolis

Re: Dial Gauge

Postby Jim_Thode » June 4th, 2018, 9:48 pm

Sumnergeo,
You can find then from several manufactures and sources. If you do a Google search for Saw Setting Dial Gauge or Side Dial Gauge you should find several sources.

They work ok on some saw but not all saws. Saws with long narrow teeth or the small end of smaller saws are a problem because of the pin/feet placement. I've seen someone had moved the pins nearer the plunger back away form the plunger so it works better with more saws.

Or another more useful option at a significant cost savings is to make one like this:
http://www.crosscutsawyer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=597

Jim
Jim_Thode

Re: Dial Gauge

Postby sumnergeo » June 5th, 2018, 1:37 pm

I saw what a nice job you did on the dial gauge but managed to carry on with spider gauges. Once I saw how well one could work, I'll need to revisit your project!
sumnergeo

Location: Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Houston, Texas; Minneapolis

Return to Other General Discussion