help with peeling bark off ponderosa pine.

Discussions about other types of tools, logging history, trail maintenance, etc.

help with peeling bark off ponderosa pine.

Postby soli » October 29th, 2017, 8:28 pm

I'd like to peel the bark off in one piece or as few pieces as possible. Diameter in 24"+ range. Length 7-8 feet. Ending up with a big cylinder of sorts. Never done anything like this. Looking for tips, from basic know how to tricks of the experienced.
soli

Re: help with peeling bark off ponderosa pine.

Postby Jim_Thode » October 30th, 2017, 7:44 am

You have many options. A bark spud would be the traditional tool but an axe, a, timber framers' slick chisel, a draw knife or even power options. You can do a google search for each of those options to see photos.

Also could do a google search for "peel bark" for videos sod other options.

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby Trailsawyer » October 30th, 2017, 8:53 am

All of Jim's suggestions will get the bark off...... but putting it back together would be the hard part! :(
I would probably get out the 48" bar and the 046 Stihl, then start bore cutting and carving out he wood - leaving an inch or so shell to hold it together?
Take pictures!
Gary
Trailsawyer

Postby Jim_Thode » October 30th, 2017, 11:35 am

I missed the part about wanting to save the bark. If that is the case and you just want the bark, the only option I can think of is pealing a green log in the spring when the bark will separate from the tree. Another option other then Gary's and probably the easiest would be would be slab off the bark on a sawmill cutting on at least four sides then reassemble the slabs/bark without the heart.
Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby soli » October 30th, 2017, 7:38 pm

Thanks. Yes, I going for intact bark, slit along the length, then steam the cylinder to "bend" it flat.

If only I had a 48" bar and 046. Maybe I could rent one.

I wasn't sure which season would be best, sounds like spring would be. That's for felling the tree right?

If the weight is 45 lbs per cubic foot, then a 2' log would be 150lbs per lineal foot. I'm surprised it is denser than Doug Fir.
I could bore holes in the centers of the ends for shafts of 1" pipe, jack it up and put "jack stands" underneath pipe so that I could easily rotate the log.

I was thinking of ripping a kerf through the bark lengthwise, then making a set of curved peelers that match the diameter. Maybe use the peelers in a pneumatic chisel.
soli

Postby King Karri Tree » November 1st, 2017, 12:29 am

What are you going to use the bark for????????????

Might help decide how to get it off.
King Karri Tree

Return to Other General Discussion