Sawmate

Discussions about other types of tools, logging history, trail maintenance, etc.

Sawmate

Postby Jim_Thode » May 28th, 2017, 7:06 am

http://www.solhem9.se/Sagkamraten.html

Goggle translated:

In Sweden, at the beginning of the 20th century, several attempts were made to facilitate manual forestry work. Several different auxiliaries for the harvesting tools were constructed. Some help devices came beyond the trial stage and were patented and then sold in varying numbers.

On April 15, 1911, J. Landin, Tandsjö, Sweden, patented, a device to streamline the work of timmervans and arch saw. It was a simple device that allowed every forest shaker to work alone. Previously, one had always worked two and two with the heavy stock saw. The device, commonly called the "Sawmate", consisted of a strong spiral spring, in a tightened position about 25 cm long, attached to the saw's handle. At the other end of the feather was a sharp iron hook stuck in the stem or the log. The spring helped pull the saw back to the cutter and became popular when it was power-saving. Sawmate weighed only 200 grams. The price was about 2.50 kr per piece in the mid 1910s.

The sigh companion quickly became popular especially with timmervans. Sawmates acted according to contemporary sources best with clean-handed timmervansar as in the picture above. Even the arch saw was sometimes used with a sawmate. At tree felling, the arch saw was less suitable. Timmersvansen requires less firing in snowy woods during tree felling and is better in rocky soils. Even when cutting, the arc saw was more difficult to handle with a sawmate because the spring was twisted in the bow.

The sawmate is said to be "in full use" in Sweden in 1919. The sawmate was sold for a long period of time. The suitor in the picture above was bought in 1948.

The suitor had several followers. Some examples are Sandviken Tree Felling Apparatus "Maternity" 1925 and K. T. Ericson's similar device patented in 1955.
Jim_Thode

Re: Sawmate

Postby brianthehurdler » May 29th, 2017, 1:57 am

Arch Saw = bow saw, but I'm struggling with the translation of 'timmervans'!

Presumably it's along the lines of 'bucking' or 'crosscut' saws; maybe even 'single-handed' saws, but I can't work out where the jump in translation comes from. maybe there was no translation and 'timmervans' is the scandinavian word.

And why would a bucking or crosscut saw require less 'firing' when felling in snowy woods and be better in rocky ground?

More importantly, how can it help with your work? The effort that you save in having the spring pull the saw back through the wood will be outweighed by the effort that you spend in stretching the spring. Otherwise you'd be converting lead into gold! It's a different situation when using some form of sprung system on a two-man saw. You're trading off energy expenditure against keeping the saw running true.

Brian.
brianthehurdler

Postby PATCsawyer » May 29th, 2017, 4:51 am

Guess I'd have to try it before I condemned it, but pulling against a spring seems no different than pulling against a partner's arms and I know what it feels like when someone's riding the saw.
PATCsawyer

Postby Jim_Thode » May 29th, 2017, 7:51 am

Yes, I think they lost a little in the translation. I'm thinking that timmervans should be timberman as in logger or sawyer. In Dutch timmermans translates to carpenter.

I think they may of overstated the usefulness of the tool (Sawmate). If they had been very useful it would have migrated around the world. Some issues with the function is that it would tend to pull the saw off to the side and put more down pressure on the push stroke where is it not needed. On the other hand maybe the added down pressure on the pull stroke may be quite useful and could be the primary benefit.

A rubberman is used to hold a saw into the tree when falling and to support and pull back a limber saw. A rubberman can be very useful in some conditions. This Sawmate may require that quite a stiff saw be used.

I don't know, I'd never seen the Sawmate before.

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby Gavin Longrain » May 30th, 2017, 2:38 am

I think the key issue here is: " What is best way to arrange the away-from-you i.e. the return stroke?"

These could include:
    1. a human
    2. a rubberman
    3. your own muscles e.g. if the available human was more work than help
    4. Sawmate (mentioned above)

When I used a rubberman I liked the adjustability of the tension to get it just right. There is no sideways pull.
Gavin Longrain

Return to Other General Discussion