Wood frame bucksaws

Discussions about other types of tools, logging history, trail maintenance, etc.

Re: Wood frame bucksaws

Postby Dale Torma » December 26th, 2016, 4:57 am

I find I use the lower handle with my right hand and my left hand in various places, depending on the height the log it off the ground. In the snow, cutting low to the ground, I use a boat cushion for one knee, trying to avoid knee pain at night from kneeling on a cold surface. I have not tried the under bucking you suggested, cause my last few logs were too big and I had to make a few cuts as for as I could, then cut through when the diameter was smaller toward the top. Today I have some smaller stuff to cut and I will try the upside down blade trick.

Christmas Eve day, I shattered 2 plastic felling wedges, lost my end pin when I took the blade off to remove it from a wedged cut ( wedged with freshly chopped spruce wedges) a d smaller off a new hard maple handle I had just finished for my old Zenith axe. Came home with an empty sled. Brought out my big finnish axe yesterday and some freshly made hop-hornbeam wedges, and found the east wind had finished felling for me. The big Finn axe worked better for splitting the double length chunks than my other lighter axe anyway. I had to split to load, cause the chunks were a bit heavy.
image.jpg

I also split a load of Green Ash from the river bottom for axe handle wood
image.jpg

image.jpg

I used a chainsaw to fell the ash and make the beetle because the river trees are full of silt and the chainsaw is less trouble to sharpen that a crosscut.
Dale Torma

Re: Wood frame bucksaws

Postby Dale Torma » December 26th, 2016, 5:06 am

Here is the experimental hard maple handle that failed. It was not a nice handle to use, it transferred too much shock and vibration. Ash or birch is much easier on the hands.
image.jpg

It was made from a crooked tree, so grain runout was not the problem. Just too hard and brittle
image.jpg
Dale Torma

Previous

Return to Other General Discussion