One Man Tree Falling

Discussions about other types of tools, logging history, trail maintenance, etc.

One Man Tree Falling

Postby Jim_Thode » November 23rd, 2016, 4:39 pm

I posted a new video on falling trees with a single sawyer.
At:
https://youtu.be/-0uv7ZnCC6o

Jim
Jim_Thode

Re: One Man Tree Falling

Postby whirlibird » November 23rd, 2016, 8:48 pm

Thank you Jim. I enjoyed the new video. So the shortened saw looked to be cut down more on one end, is that correct. I will have to look up more about topping saws. Peaks my curiosity.

Brian
whirlibird

Postby dayle1960 » November 24th, 2016, 9:20 am

I too enjoyed the video. But, and I must add this as a big BUT, I am no woodsman, so please excuse my asking this question. It looks to me that a lot of the trees in the video were good trees. I saw you labeled some trees as dead, yet I cannot think that a lot of the trees you took down were still good. I am not a greenie or tree hugger, but am just curious as to the reasons you cut the trees down. It looks like you are in a fir forest and are just trying to clear up some undesirable trees. Could this be correct?

Thanks,

Terry
dayle1960

Postby Jim_Thode » November 24th, 2016, 12:26 pm

dayle1960 wrote:I too enjoyed the video. But, and I must add this as a big BUT, I am no woodsman, so please excuse my asking this question. It looks to me that a lot of the trees in the video were good trees. I saw you labeled some trees as dead, yet I cannot think that a lot of the trees you took down were still good. I am not a greenie or tree hugger, but am just curious as to the reasons you cut the trees down. It looks like you are in a fir forest and are just trying to clear up some undesirable trees. Could this be correct?

Thanks,

Terry

Thanks Terry.
The reason I labeled some as dead was because I know that some people are opposed to cutting live trees. In this case all of the conifer trees I cut were dead Western Hemlock. It did show three Alder's being cut and of those two were dead and the leaning one was just in the way and getting choked out by the larger trees. In end, all total, only one live tree was cut in this video.
This ground was logged in the early to mid 1900's. At first many trees start growing in a young forest and over time as the trees get larger they need more space. The smaller and weaker trees naturally die off. I cut the ones that die for firewood.

I posted this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBOzSRSAA8s video a couple years ago and I intentionally disabled the comments on Youtube because I know many (not you Terry) would post negative comments.

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby whirlibird » November 24th, 2016, 4:27 pm

Thanks Terry.
The reason I labeled some as dead was because I know that some people are opposed to cutting live trees. In this case all of the conifer trees I cut were dead Western Hemlock. It did show three Alder's being cut and of those two were dead and the leaning one was just in the way and getting choked out by the larger trees. In end, all total, only one live tree was cut in this video.
This ground was logged in the early to mid 1900's. At first many trees start growing in a young forest and over time as the trees get larger they need more space. The smaller and weaker trees naturally die off. I cut the ones that die for firewood.

Jim,
In my limited experience I have determined that to keep a healthy forest, sometimes even live trees have to be removed. Removing dead ones seems to be a good first choice, but a green one or so may become a good and appropriate choice as well. I am not opposed to removing a green tree with good reasoning like yours for it being choked out. Not trying to stir up anything, just voice my viewpoint. Sounds like it was a good tree to be cut.

Brian
whirlibird

Postby Gavin Longrain » November 25th, 2016, 12:35 am

I note the comments above about felling live trees and that some folks believe felling any live trees is necessarily and 100% bad.

If you google the phrase "coppice management", you will see information about a practice that has been around at least 4000 years. In many woodlands in UK, conservation organisations actively clear-fell sections of their woods. That clear felling allows sunlight to get to the forest floor and favours those species that prefer new growth. Butterflies and other insects can eat nectar and pollen from ground-flowering plants - which cannot grow if they are overstood by a tree-canopy. Birds that like ground cover then have a home.
Gavin Longrain

Return to Other General Discussion