Saw guard idea

Discussions about other types of tools, logging history, trail maintenance, etc.

Saw guard idea

Postby Dale Torma » May 12th, 2016, 6:17 am

image.jpg

Thinking it might work, I retrieved a used guy wire marker from the dumpster, and cut it to length, it worked perfectly.
This one was made by preformed line products, and the come in 7-8 foot lengths. Maybe you can get a used one or more from your friendly neighborhood lineman. Generally, when we tear down a power line, there is not much we are allowed to re-use for a new line, due to insurance and liability. So many things just get tossed.
Dale Torma

Re: Saw guard idea

Postby Dale Torma » May 12th, 2016, 6:19 am

image.jpg
Here is an end view
Dale Torma

Postby PATCsawyer » May 12th, 2016, 6:31 am

That certainly meets all the requirements of the KISS principle. If you heat it, can it be squashed a little flatter?

I typically make mine from channel lattice and velcro, an augment to the Dolly Chapman version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSQTDEuwurE
PATCsawyer

Postby Dale Torma » May 12th, 2016, 9:17 am

I like your idea better. The guy guards work, but they are thinner than your guard. Nice video! Thanks
Dale Torma

Postby sumnergeo » May 12th, 2016, 11:20 am

I've made several of the channel guards for D-handles and two-man saws. I do not like them for the D-handles when I am doing trailwork.

For a 3 1/2 ft or 4 ft D-handle, I typically carry it through the straps on my pack. That leaves my hands free to carry loppers or a tread tool and is also a handy check on trailwidth. If the saw hits something, it is too close to the trail. For a guard made of fire hose, the saw fits tight and smooth close to the small of my back. The channel guard makes an annoying bump against my back - okay for a couple of miles but leads to lower back pain after too many hours.

So, okay for transport and carrying in hand but not for long treks using the behind-the-back carry.
sumnergeo

Location: Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Houston, Texas; Minneapolis

Postby Gavin Longrain » May 12th, 2016, 1:09 pm

If anyone knows of a channel lattice substitute in UK, please advise.
Gavin Longrain

Postby PATCsawyer » May 12th, 2016, 4:19 pm

I guess it depends on the pack. I have a Cabelas freighter frame that will carry the saw high and a Deuter 40 that that can lash a D-handle to any position I want. I use these when I need to have poles. Otherwise I just thread the saw through the shoulder strap and carry it against the side of the pack. Probably not USFS approved, but that channel lattice is so tough, the teeth would never puncture through the plastic if I fell on it, unlike fire hose which saw teeth readily chew up. Note the orange tubular webbing in the last pic that I used to reinforce the shoulder strap where it attaches to the bottom of the pack. This prevents the saw from weakening the factory strap by repeated rubbing.

Cabelas
P1011896.jpg

Deuter 40
P1010243.JPG

Deuter 40
P1020838.jpg
PATCsawyer

Return to Other General Discussion