Sorby hand saw crown identification

Discussions about other types of tools, logging history, trail maintenance, etc.

Sorby hand saw crown identification

Postby dayle1960 » April 18th, 2016, 3:51 pm

I'm looking on Ebay at a hand saw: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Robert- ... Sw8RJXDESx

I've tried to find some info on the Robert Sorby Saw company yet all of my search results come back with websites which discuss saws but do not really identify aspects of saws. Disston saws have the Disstonianinstiute.com as a great help to identify saws. I'm wondering if Sorby has something similar. What has me particularly interested in this saw is the three crowns stamped into the steel. Seems to me that with that many crowns it should be a special saw. Do you guys in the UK know of any websites on that side of the pond which might list the different types of saws Robert Sorby produced?

Thanks,

Terry
dayle1960

Re: Sorby hand saw crown identification

Postby Gavin Longrain » April 19th, 2016, 2:34 am

You could try Kelham Island Museum in Sheffield esp the Keith Hawley Tool collection. Google "keith hawley tool collection" and follow your nose. Sawman and I have visited there - you could spend ages looking at their stuff.
Gavin Longrain

Postby dayle1960 » April 19th, 2016, 4:33 am

Thank you.
dayle1960

Postby trailcrew » April 20th, 2016, 3:13 am

Wkfinetools is the best resource I've found on the interweb for broad info. Specific collectable tools have their own sites, you mentioned disstonian institute, and also the blood and gore stanley plane thing and one for miller's falls drills come to mind. Haven't come across anything specific for Sorby though. However, the company still exists as a brand at least and maybe contacting them directly would work.
Josh
trailcrew

Postby macg » April 20th, 2016, 3:14 pm

Hello Terry,

if you go to the web site wkfinetools.com and type in Robert Sorby
you'll find about 5 pages on the history of Sorby tool works.

Regards

Graham.
macg

Postby Sawman » April 21st, 2016, 1:32 pm

Hi Terry a few links for you. Not sure what the 3 crowns are about (will find out for you as if Simon Barley doesnt know then no one does) ,
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (13.12 KiB) Viewed 1506 times
My guess top grade steel or top of the range something like that. Sorby are/were one of the big names to come out of Sheffield, there stuff is considered top quality and if I am ever after stuff it is one of the names I look out for, chisels mainly as these companies produced almost identical products and I think they tried to outdo each other on their quality. Until some bright spark decided to import cheap inferior products and then the rot set in. http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/media/wys ... ooklet.pdf https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=dp_bylin ... evancerank Cheers Duncan.
Last edited by Sawman on April 21st, 2016, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sawman

Postby dayle1960 » April 21st, 2016, 3:13 pm

Thinking about the crowns.....Wouldn't that be a stamp which shows that taxes were paid to the Crown? Maybe one crown stamp signifies that a steel tax was paid, one crown stamp signifies that a wood handle stamp was paid, and then the last crown stamp might signify that the completed saw was properly taxed to the Crown. Just guessing, but somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind I kind of remember that crown stamps on goods produced within the reach of the British Crown would show that the proper taxes and duties had been paid for such goods. Or it could be just a stamp for a regional producer.
dayle1960

Postby Sawman » April 21st, 2016, 9:45 pm

Perhaps these guys can help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_cuVge6-o0
Sawman

Postby leaycraft » August 18th, 2016, 5:08 pm

3 crowns could also refer to Sweden. Perhaps it means Swedish Steel was used to make the plate. don't recall seeing 3 crowns on British products.
leaycraft

Return to Other General Discussion