Remove old ax handle?

Discussions about other types of tools, logging history, trail maintenance, etc.

Remove old ax handle?

Postby Gavin Longrain » March 6th, 2016, 9:37 am

So I found ax head at the dump.
I drilled it out some.
ax head1.jpg

It has some epoxy glue remaining.

What is best way to get rid of this? I do not wish to put the head in the fire!
ax head.jpg

I just thought: I could put a hack saw blade thru the head and re-assemble the frame of hacksaw. Once I have cut a kerf in this glue on either side, the epoxy may then flake off.
Any other thoughts? I don't want to poke a rasp file here for the steel of the head will dull the rasp quickly.
Gavin Longrain

Re: Remove old ax handle?

Postby BD Rec » March 6th, 2016, 11:08 am

Hey Gavin,
I had had to use a propane torch to heat up the epoxy and wipe it out with a cloth. Its a very nasty process, don't breath the fumes!! I would heat a little epoxy at a time and then wipe it out as soon as it was liquid. You don't have to heat up the steel very much. I do it outside and wear a ventilator.
Good luck!
BD Rec

Postby PATCsawyer » March 6th, 2016, 2:45 pm

I've found that the epoxy-to-metal bond can be chipped out with a chisel. I have a couple of old beater chisels I use for doing this and it gets most of the epoxy out. Just work the edge between the eye and the epoxy and tap the chisel lightly with a small hammer. Plumb and Keen Kutter (probably others) glued their handles on like that. Red epoxy indicates a Plumb in the USA.
PATCsawyer

Postby Sawman » March 13th, 2016, 10:53 am

Hi Gavin, agree with Dan chip out with chisel always. No heat at anytime. It looks a 2.25lb head or 1kg in new money. I would clean it up and file with your excellent files. Any stamp marks? As as a rule quality axes were done this way around the 70's, This is how I do it.
20160228_153312_resized.jpg
You just need to get the wedge in so the blade is 90 degrees to the bench, as the photo is just an example.
20160228_153412_resized.jpg
Also got myself a twin bit, its a Brades 3.5lb. British twin bit! Yes very very rare.
brades2.JPG
Head was upside down on a pick axe handle. Whittled the handle down, now just perfect Cheers Duncan.
Sawman

Postby Gavin Longrain » March 13th, 2016, 2:25 pm

Woo hoo Duncan - you do find some nice toys! Like that ax :D
Gavin Longrain

Return to Other General Discussion