Multiple saw transportation method

Discussions about other types of tools, logging history, trail maintenance, etc.

Multiple saw transportation method

Postby sandersdwa » January 31st, 2016, 9:34 pm

I'd be interested in any examples others have used to create a box (or similar) that they use to transport multiple saws. I would like to transport several saws of differing types and lengths to events or trails and would like to evaluate a few examples before I try to create one of my own. I have been using folded cardboard and tooth guards but need to find something that works outside of the vehicle to ensure passenger safety.
Appreciate any feedback.
Don
sandersdwa

Re: Multiple saw transportation method

Postby Jim_Thode » February 1st, 2016, 9:02 am

Here is probably the most common method:
CrossCutCarry1.jpg

I normally carry my saws in fully enclosed scabbards and carry behind the seat in the pickup or in back of the pickup.

7' saw on my horse.

More details on this scabbard at:
http://www.bchw.org/LCBCH/sawp.htm

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby BD Rec » February 2nd, 2016, 3:13 pm

Don,
I saw a guy in Utah that had to transport a bunch of saws and he had built a wooden box out of plywood that was about 10 inches wide, 8 inches deep and about 6 feet long. it was deep enough to hold his deepest bucking saw. He then had 4- 2x4s that were cut to the width of the box and spaced evenly, glued in place that had saw kerfs in them that would hold the saws apart and firmly in the box. The saws were teeth down in the box and it had a nice plywood lid that was hinged and had locks for the non hinge side. It had nice rope handles on the ends. I think it carried 4 or 6 saws, any more then that and it would get very heavy. It was a very nice setup.
BD Rec

Postby Starling_Saw » February 8th, 2016, 8:21 pm

For transportation of saws for College competitions, I made this box to carry saws. It is made from Yellow cedar, and I have three blocks crosswise in box, with slots cut in them to hold nine saws, maximum length seven foot. With the three blocks, I can place five foot saws in it as well. I place the saws in box with teeth up so I can identify the saws and condition of the ones that I want at the moment. I made a sleeve from an old pants leg and stapled it to the lid where I keep a wire hook to reach in under the saws and pull out the desired saw without getting my fingers into the sharp teeth. I placed heavy duty handles on the ends of box and a piano hinge for lid, with metal corner protectors. One person can move and load the box, but is a bit of work. It will fit in a small Toyota pickup corner to corner.
Attachments
IMG_20160208_194737934_3265.JPG
IMG_20160208_194759413_3266.JPG
IMG_20160208_195007875_3267.JPG
IMG_20160208_195024470_3268.JPG
Starling_Saw

Postby sandersdwa » February 8th, 2016, 8:43 pm

Thank you Starling_Saw. That reminds me of when we did the same for transporting our college competition 22 caliber rifles.
I'm thinking along the same lines and being able to place them on a rack or in the bed of a pickup like you mention.
sandersdwa

Postby King Karri Tree » February 9th, 2016, 4:31 am

Mate, That is 'Bloody Nice' and I have just found a new project to work on.

Thanks for the photos and idea.
King Karri Tree

Postby BD Rec » February 10th, 2016, 1:01 pm

Starting Saw,
Yes! that is very similar to the saw box I saw in Utah. That is nice! Thanks
BD Rec

Postby Jim_Thode » February 10th, 2016, 4:07 pm

If you are going to use the saws at the location you drive to like a sawing competition then the saw box is a good way to go. If you can not drive to the work site like trail clearing and will be putting scabbards on the saws, the box may not be a good idea unless they will fit with scabbards installed.
Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby Starling_Saw » February 11th, 2016, 7:09 am

I've used this saw box with fire hose guards on the saws, You just can't put as many saws in the box. One of the local Forest Service districts I work with, haul their saws this way, when they have a large work party. When they get to the trail head they just pull the saws they need out and attach a sling to the saw and carry them.
John
Starling_Saw

Return to Other General Discussion