John Glenn

Discussions about other types of tools, logging history, trail maintenance, etc.

John Glenn

Postby BD Rec » October 1st, 2015, 2:20 pm

I heard that John Glenn, a classic human and traditional tool guru has passed away. I read a piece that Dolly Chapman wrote of his passing. I worked with him making the Crosscut Sawyer Video through MTDC several years ago. He was a pleasure to work with, a class act all around...
BD Rec

Re: John Glenn

Postby Jim_Thode » October 1st, 2015, 4:37 pm

I just learned of John's passing a couple days ago. I dealt with him briefly and he seemed like a very nice person. He will be missed.

From what I could find out he was working on trail work as a volunteer and sustained a head injury in a "freak" accident. He was medevaced out and died the next day. That was August 6th. I have not heard of any more details on the accident but I'm sure that will come with time to prevent anything like that from happening again.

Here is a short white up about John:
http://www.bcha.org/blog/2015/08/08/rem ... -john-gle/

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby maujds » December 27th, 2017, 6:07 pm

John was doing Rigging. something he loved to do. some how the log came loose and he was on the bottom. that is what i heard. now because of that accident is has been hard to have rigging classes for Volunteers. especially for Crosscut Sawyers needing to have rigging done to do safe log cutting.
maujds

Postby PATCsawyer » January 5th, 2018, 6:16 am

maujds wrote: because of that accident is has been hard to have rigging classes for Volunteers.

Is the difficulty in finding a venue? Rigging for trail work does not require a certification (at least where I do it), so having a skills workshop to teach proper practices has always been encouraged by my trail club. Limiting access to proper training is not a solution to preventing injuries.
PATCsawyer

Postby Jim_Thode » January 5th, 2018, 2:37 pm

I don't know the details of the John Glen case but trying to teach anything but the simplest (non-lifting) rigging to anyone other then qualified engineers would be futile. Proper rigging design requires that weights be accurately estimated and the load on every single loaded line and rigging component be calculated to confirm that safe working load limits are not exceeded. That's not something that can easily be taught in a short class.

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby PATCsawyer » January 6th, 2018, 11:43 am

Interesting application of mechanical advantage. Was RUN one of the commands?
PATCsawyer

Return to Other General Discussion