Saw Handles

Other related tools like scabbards, wedges, underbuckers, crosscut handles, you name it!

Re: Saw Handles

Postby goodfeller » November 7th, 2013, 5:19 am

NIce. And this reminds me. Does anyone have a source for barrel nuts? I've been thinking of trying to make some but if I can find a place to buy them, all the better. Thanks.
goodfeller

Postby Jim_Thode » November 7th, 2013, 11:29 am

You can find barrel nuts at a bunch of places online and even eBay. Do a Google search for "barrel nuts" to find many sources.
Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby goodfeller » November 8th, 2013, 6:54 am

Thanks, Jim. I have tried Google and eBay but unfortunately the only ones I have found are too small--basically for furniture making or repair. Exception is a company or two in China but I don't think I am ever going to use up their minimum orders of 5000 or more. What I would like to find are some barrel nuts 5/8" to 3/4" in diameter with a 3/8" to 1/2" bore to use in making helper handles. May have to talk to a local machine shop or try to make some. Ideas welcome.
goodfeller

Postby Jim_Thode » November 8th, 2013, 7:48 am

Another name to look under is Cross Dowel

Here is one for a 7/16" 20 bolt for $13 plus shipping??
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... 07348&pdv={device}&gclid=CPG_luK91boCFaUWMgodzyEAHQ

And a 3/8-24 for $2.49
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... RecID=6132

This site has 3/8-16 in packs of 12 for $12 /pack.
http://www.woodpeck.com/crossdowels.html

This site shows 3/8"-16 but show no price.
http://www.fastenersavings.com/joint-co ... -1936.html

Here are 1/2-12 eight pack with bolts for $27
http://www.rockler.com/woodworking/3-8-Cross-Dowel

I think if I needed just one or two I would just make them and have made similar ones for old car parts before.

Good luck,
Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby goodfeller » November 8th, 2013, 1:01 pm

Thanks again, Jim. You the man! And looking at some of the links, I realize I should have asked my son-in-law the mechanic and dragster builder in NC. Somehow I just couldn't make the jump from saws to cars. :oops:
goodfeller

Postby Jimlee » July 11th, 2014, 10:13 pm

handles.jpg
a cache of assorted crosscut saw handles and mounting hardware I literally stumbled over in the garage of an elderly man who sold me a pretty nice 66" 2-man bucking saw. i'm still cleaning the rust and grime off the castings (I don't collect handle hardware or saws - I want to return them to use), using an electrolysis tank and a handheld wire brush. I don't see any maker's marks anywhere on the castings. one set of hardware looks like part of an Atkins #9 loop style, but the rest are anonymous. should I expect to see something to indicate maker, model, or date?

thanks, Jim.
Jimlee

Postby PATCsawyer » July 12th, 2014, 4:35 am

I don't often find any maker's marks on the type of steel hardware shown in your picture, though sometimes I'll see a raised number. The exception being the steel cap of Disston one-man saw handles which sometimes has the company's name stamped on the side. The presence of a stamped "Disston USA" on the steel or wooden parts may indicate their age, as not all of their one-man handles have it (or it has worn off).
PATCsawyer

Postby Jim_Thode » July 12th, 2014, 7:28 am

Jim,
Good find. You can use the two fittings in the upper right of your photo to make a handle like on this saw. My favorite handle.
Jim
IMG_7440a.jpg
Jim_Thode

Postby PATCsawyer » July 12th, 2014, 7:35 am

Jim - After looking at your design, I made a couple of those and really like the simplicity of it. I find that the typical western handle has too much loose hardware, and that damn wing nut is always in the way. Where did you get the brass spacer?
PATCsawyer

Postby Jim_Thode » July 12th, 2014, 7:28 pm

PATCsawyer wrote:Jim - After looking at your design, I made a couple of those and really like the simplicity of it. I find that the typical western handle has too much loose hardware, and that damn wing nut is always in the way. Where did you get the brass spacer?

PATCsawyer.
I think I found the brass spacer in my miscellaneous nut, bolt, hardware container. I don't know were you could buy one off the shelf.

Jim
Jim_Thode

Previous

Return to Other tools