Simonds 513 Royal Chinook

Topics should be types of Simonds saws, and posts are related to those saws

Re: Simonds 513 Royal Chinook

Postby trolleypup » March 20th, 2013, 9:20 am

I think, by the time you make a statement like that, the only thing left to determine is what to call the disorder! "I need a big western felling saw" is probably at the edge.

By the time you get at least two of each kind, so you can have a "show" saw with pristine etching and handles, as well as a "working" saw, you are so far around the bend...

My current dilemma? Whether to get my NIB 520 (working saw) tuned up, or start using another (same size) 520 so as not to obscure the Simonds factory sharpening.
trolleypup

Postby trailcrew » March 20th, 2013, 3:54 pm

My current dilemma? Whether to get my NIB 520 (working saw) tuned up, or start using another (same size) 520 so as not to obscure the Simonds factory sharpening.

Does it count as a first world problem if it involves tools that aren't even used in the developing world anymore?
Josh
trailcrew

Postby trolleypup » March 20th, 2013, 7:00 pm

trailcrew wrote:

Does it count as a first world problem if it involves tools that aren't even used in the developing world anymore?

I'm sure that everything about crosscut saws and wilderness tool use counts as a FWP!
trolleypup

Postby BD Rec » April 2nd, 2013, 7:28 pm

Wow Treeline! Nice saw, I love the rakers!
BD Rec

Postby goodfeller » April 8th, 2013, 12:55 pm

I take it you guys out West don't have a Sawyers Anonymous chapter? It helps. ;)
goodfeller

Postby trolleypup » April 8th, 2013, 6:18 pm

goodfeller wrote:I take it you guys out West don't have a Sawyers Anonymous chapter? It helps. ;)

What?! I don't have a problem!

Besides, the last time the local chaper to SA met, we made the mistake of checking eBay...
trolleypup

Postby goodfeller » April 9th, 2013, 7:31 am

To my wife after another "ironing board" comes in the mail: But dear I have been looking for one of these for months. And it's cheaper than golf.
goodfeller

Postby Treeline » April 11th, 2013, 7:33 am

Here's another 5.5' I just finished. Has my favorite Simonds Royal Chinook 395 handle on for test cutting:

Here's some in progress pics. You can see the newly shaped tooth on the left and the jointed down, badly shaped tooth on the right in the first pic. This one took a lot of filing! Also looked like someone had used a dreaded pistol grip type setting device on it. Big crescent shaped dents on the back of the cutters and way too much set. I hammered all the set out first, then re-set after filing.

All finished.

Treeline

Postby Treeline » April 11th, 2013, 7:39 am

goodfeller wrote:To my wife after another "ironing board" comes in the mail: But dear I have been looking for one of these for months. And it's cheaper than golf.

Ha! My mailman finally asked me what all these long flat packages are too. Curiosity got the better of him.
Treeline

Postby goodfeller » April 12th, 2013, 11:09 am

I had a similar experience once when I took a saw to post office to mail. Guy behind the counter asked what it was and I told him. He go interested and result was that he bought one of my saws. That Simonds is very nice. Don't tell me you got it for $10 at a yard sale. Please.
goodfeller

PreviousNext

Return to Simonds Saws