Topics should be types of Simonds saws, and posts are related to those saws

Simonds 513 Royal Chinook

Postby Crosscut Sawyer » February 9th, 2011, 8:33 pm

Lance Tooth Felling Saw
Crosscut Sawyer
Site Admin

Re: Simonds 513 Royal Chinook

Postby Starling_Saw » February 19th, 2011, 6:18 pm

This saw I aquired last fall from the Tacoma area. It is 66 inches in length, and never been out of the wrapper.
DSC05136.JPG
Starling_Saw

Postby Desperado » February 22nd, 2011, 11:26 am

Very Nice How Much?
Desperado

Postby Starling_Saw » February 28th, 2011, 7:36 pm

I bought several saws and handles, all were new and unused for a couple hundred. The saw cost the oringial buyer $28 and $13.95 for the Atkins handles that was with it.
Starling_Saw

Postby Treeline » December 23rd, 2011, 12:16 pm

Here's another 513 Royal Chinook. This one is 5.5' and Made in Canada. These are nice, thick, crescent ground blades. A little heavier, but really nice to work with for both felling and bucking. This one had a faint logo so I didn't get a good photo of it. I included a couple of detail shots as I sharpened. Those handles are Simonds Royal Chinook 395's.

Treeline

Postby Treeline » March 18th, 2013, 2:06 pm

I just tuned up another Royal Chinook 513 and thought I would add it to the database.

This one is a 5.5 foot saw. the teeth and rakers were in pretty bad condition and it took some heavy filing to get everything back in shape. Cuts really well now. I tried a slightly different shape on the cutters, going a little further down the sides, which helped even out some bad assymetrical teeth from someones previous attempt. Going a little further down the tooth on these thick saws seems to make them a little easier to set since you're removing more metal. I usually set after jointing, but these thick teeth are tough. I did a few, but decided to finish the setting after they were pointed up and it was easier. I went with .010" on the raker depth. It made for some slightly thick, slightly whiskered shavings, but it cut Really fast and smooth. I was single bucking with it, and I think with 2 sawyers it will really fly.

Here is the finished saw with a nice set of matching Simonds handles:

Treeline

Postby Jim_Thode » March 18th, 2013, 4:23 pm

Very nice saw. There is a reason that these were the preferred saw for heavy duty work.
Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby Treeline » March 18th, 2013, 7:01 pm

Jim_Thode wrote:Very nice saw. There is a reason that these were the preferred saw for heavy duty work.
Jim

Thanks Jim. Yeah, these are really a pleasure to use in the field.
Treeline

Postby trailcrew » March 20th, 2013, 6:06 am

I've got the 503, looks like I'm going to need to pick up a 513 somewhere to complete the set. Nice looking saws.
Josh
trailcrew

Postby Trailsawyer » March 20th, 2013, 8:37 am

trailcrew wrote:I've got the 503, looks like I'm going to need to pick up a 513 somewhere to complete the set. Nice looking saws.

CAUTION ADVISED!!
Persons making statements like "I'm going to need to pick up a _________ to complete the set" may be showing signs of a disorder related to what the chainsaw folks refer to as CAD (Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder)! As someone who is possibly afflicted, I have long suspected that there may be a related strain of this disorder - Crosscut Acquisition Disorder! I personally do not believe that having only 35 or 40 saws qualifies..... however a friend, who now has 400+ chainsaws, disagrees - he claims that any more than 10 indicates a irreversible trend!

Be advised that a "set" of Royal Chinooks could easily be construed to include examples in all available lengths, and in each of the various age related logos......
Best of luck in your quest..... And please keep us informed of your progress!
Gary
Gary
Trailsawyer

Next

Return to Simonds Saws